Have I shrunk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It has been a good 6/7 years since I was given my first racing bike for christmas one year. I got used to it very quickly and loved the sense of speed that I had on it.
However, this year I have been using it to commute to college on and for some reason, I feel like I am stretching for the handlebars. Due to this I have had to readjust the bars and seat to get comfortable, but I am still reaching to get the brakes.

I dont know why all of a sudden I am having difficulty riding the bike because I have gotten used to it already. So what has happened?

The bike couldnt have enlarged over time could it? And if anything, I should be taller now than I was years ago. So why am I so uncomfortable?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Your seat hasn't dropped as it?

Radchenister

Veteran
It's odd, I felt like I was stretching on my first road bike since 1986 (ish) when I bought it just before Christmas and now I can fit the length easily, either I've grown or my mid-rift works differently.

How many pies do you eat :smile: ?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Maybe youve pulled a muscle in your back slightly and its restricting your movement. How long have you had your latest bike?maybe top tube is longer than you had before.

goody

Veteran
You're getting old the bits between your vertebrae are wearing out and you are getting shorter. You're also not as supple as you were causing discomfort and pain when reaching or stretching for long periods. You may also find that you need to get up regularly in the night to use the toilet. Soon you won't bother and you'll start smelling of wee.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You're getting old the bits between your vertebrae are wearing out and you are getting shorter. You're also not as supple as you were causing discomfort and pain when reaching or stretching for long periods. You may also find that you need to get up regularly in the night to use the toilet. Soon you won't bother and you'll start smelling of wee.

I think Mathew is about 18 ?^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Your description reminds me of another one I read earlier in the week about trouble with reaching the brakes while on the drops. The reason turned out to be the complete opposite of what the poster expected.

Read the post and see what you think. Given that you'll have grown a reasonable amount since you first had the bike it could be more or less the same issue.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

I concur.....:cry:

mattobrien

Guru
I think all that rain you get in Wales has shrunk you. No more cycling in the wet, otherwise there'll be nothing of you left.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Your description reminds me of another one I read earlier in the week about trouble with reaching the brakes while on the drops. The reason turned out to be the complete opposite of what the poster expected.

Read the post and see what you think. Given that you'll have grown a reasonable amount since you first had the bike it could be more or less the same issue.
I did read that post and I have been reading up on bike fits recently. You are supposed to have your elbow at 90 degrees when on the drops. My arms are 90 degrees when I am on the drops on my new road bike, but they are at less than 45 degrees when on the drops on the old bike.
Tomorrow I will fit both bikes into the turbo and then take a picture of myself in each position, and then compare the differences.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I did read that post and I have been reading up on bike fits recently. You are supposed to have your elbow at 90 degrees when on the drops. My arms are 90 degrees when I am on the drops on my new road bike, but they are at less than 45 degrees when on the drops on the old bike.
Tomorrow I will fit both bikes into the turbo and then take a picture of myself in each position, and then compare the differences.
In that case I am none the wiser. The video is a good idea, it might make it all clear.:thumbsup:

Just a thought; you did pick the right bike up out of the rack at college didn't you?;) (Caution: comment may contain a lack of seriousness)

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Just a thought; you did pick the right bike up out of the rack at college didn't you?;) (Caution: comment may contain a lack of seriousness)
Yes, I dont lock mine at the normal rack anyway, too many bikes there. I lock mine at the metal fence outside my building at the back of the campus (in view of two cameras so people reading this, dont get any ideas!).

boydj

Legendary Member
You should take some measurements to see where the bikes are different - pedal to top of saddle (pedals in line with seat tube), back of saddle to centre of bars, drop from saddle to bars. This may give you a clue as to why it feels different.

Top Bottom