Have you been fined for running a red light on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the last 15 years of cycling. I've only ever seen a cyclist fined once, in Lewisham. More fool him as just behind him was a cop on a motorbike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it is now similar, £100 fine in England. It is possible to get 3pts on your driving licence too but I think that is rare when done for cycling.

I've not been fined, but I only ride past those advisory red man+bike ones, never a red bike alone and definitely not a red circle (unless they are defective) and then I only proceed with caution after a minute or two, plus I report the fault once home.

mjr

In the last 15 years of cycling. I've only ever seen a cyclist fined once, in Lewisham. More fool him as just behind him was a cop on a motorbike.
I've seen a motorist drive through a red light after being sat 10 seconds at the stop line with a marked hi vis roads policing car straight behind them in the queue. The police officers looked at each other and then lit up and sirened. I don't think they really wanted the delay but felt they couldn't let that go!

mjr

Don't think I've ever seen a car go through a red light.
I'm astonished if they're rare anywhere. It has long been the case that motorists here never stop on yellow unless the road behind is clear because there is a fair chance the driver behind will continue through the red! On a bike, even on the carriageway, you wait for the cross traffic to stop before riding past a green light, unless you enjoy near misses.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Years ago we were travelling to my nana’s. Mother driving. Must have been the mid 80’s. My mother was pulled over. The officer asked her what colour the traffic light she‘s just gone through was. Red no green she exclaimed. Us children in the back pissing ourselves laughing. She was let off with a warning much chastised.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Cars often seem to barrel on through a changing set of lights, and if one does it, the one following will sometimes tailgate through. The lights with cameras seem to attract much more law-abiding customers.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm surprised more aren't fined, you used to take your life in your hands crossing Tottenham Court Road on a green man, you'd be dodging multiple bikes as you went!
At the traffic lights outside my local rail station I'm virtually guaranteed see 3 red light offences on every cycle of the light, mostly bikes but I've seen cars do it too. It seems like people see that one as an advisory, I.e. if nobody's on the crossing you can just ignore it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't think I've ever seen a car go through a red light. Seen plenty of cyclists. I was behind one last weekend so I shouted at him as he went straight through the lights (I stopped). He looked at me somewhat nonplussed. Caught him up a couple of miles later and gave him the death stare when I passed him
Try cycle commuting in London. I guarantee that you'll see red light jumping motor vehicles every single trip.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Try cycle commuting in London. I guarantee that you'll see red light jumping motor vehicles every single trip.
There's another reason for not living in the that there Laaaaandan. £6 pints and loads of RLJs. Sounds horrific!

I should say, I do see cars slipping through on amber or whatever. What I never see is a car just disregarding a red light (which is what I see cyclists doing)

DRM

Guru
Don't think I've ever seen a car go through a red light. Seen plenty of cyclists. I was behind one last weekend so I shouted at him as he went straight through the lights (I stopped). He looked at me somewhat nonplussed. Caught him up a couple of miles later and gave him the death stare when I passed him
You want to try driving through Bradford, they don't stop for anything

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There's another reason for not living in the that there Laaaaandan. £6 pints and loads of RLJs. Sounds horrific!

I should say, I do see cars slipping through on amber or whatever.

Which is RLJ in the eyes of the law. So you are seeing them committing the offence. That more don’t is purely down to the opportunity. Many would do it if the driver in front does it, but if driver in front has stopped, then they must stop as well.

I was in London. I pre empted the green light by a few seconds to escape a HGV on my tail. I cleared the big but empty junction watching out for red light blasters in other directions.
I still ride like that rather than take my chances that HGV will see me and give me right of way. Scores of riders get killed faithfully obeying the letter of the law at these junctions.

I have seen cyclists just blast through red lights without stopping regardless of traffic and pedestrians and that is just stupid

Top Bottom