Have you ever regretted trying to give helpful advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Not as easy as it looks, Vynil is flat the roof is not.
Has the wrap craze been around long enough yet (apart from on company vans) for us to see how it is going to last after a few years of weathering etc? I'm always curious as to how easily it can be removed/replaced when you get fed-up with it and fancy a change, or if partially damaged?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not as easy as it looks, Vynil is flat the roof is not.

And at least a 2 person job.

His own fault if he won't let the paint dry. It's a shame with reds, they just don't last. We sold our 19 year old Yaris a few years back. Given I look after my cars, the roof had started to peel. It's actually only a couple of streets away, and it's 21 years old now, but the owner just 'drives it'.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has the wrap craze been around long enough yet (apart from on company vans) for us to see how it is going to last after a few years of weathering etc? I'm always curious as to how easily it can be removed/replaced when you get fed-up with it and fancy a change, or if partially damaged?

A professional can remove it easily. My sister had a mini with a factory applied union jack wrap on the roof - she'd bought it second hand, about 3 years old, but if looking closely, you could see it cracking.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Well, I'll give him credit where it due. Totally undeterred he's back at it again in the hot sunshine..The roof is slowly turning to a subtle shade of prima grey. Looking at it, he's cutting it right back with a scotch pad to the old base prima. I'm going out for a ride now so it will be interesting to see what I come back to.
God this furlough thing has turned me into a right old nosey so and so.
To much curtain twitching going on i think 👀👀

gbb

Legendary Member
Not so much regretted but more a 'dunno why I bothered'
A former colleague kept coming for advice re a new bike, he avidly listened to all my advice...why you shouldnt buy a £100 BSO, why a £230 bike would be so so much better, why a BSO would sap the energy and desire from you, why one would last longer, be more enjoyable ride, etc etc etc...he just soaked up all the advice, asking asking asking questions.
A week or so later, he proudly arrived at work...on his £100 ToysRUs BSO.

He used it a few times, then it was consigned as most BSOs are, to the depths of the shed I suspect.

Ah well....

I worked for a year at a kids' home for disadvantaged youngsters in Norway nearly 30 years ago.

One of the lads in my care was of African origin and loved his dreadlocks, especially with his rasta-coloured beanie on top of his head. Unfortunately he had a bad case of alopecia but refused to have any treatment for it.

I'd recently had a zero 'crew cut' and suggested that if he had one as well, it'd strengthen his hair and his dreadlocks would be even better next time round.

To my colleagues' surprise he went and had his head shaved, almost expecting an immediate miracle growth overnight.

His hair didn't grow back and he just wore his deflated beanie to cover his head and hide his permanent embarrassment.

Oooops! 😬

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
As a nipper I returned home from school to see my neighbour painting his guttering and drain pipes some horrible colour*...

"Dont worry Mr. Jones - That will look loads better once you get a nice colour topcoat on" I advised

He smiled and nodded while looking at me from the corner of his eye..

Yes, that 'orrible colour was the topcoat.

(* Actual colour omitted so not to offend anyone with mustard coloured drainpipes and gutters)

AndyRM

XOXO
As a nipper I returned home from school to see my neighbour painting his guttering and drain pipes some horrible colour*...

"Dont worry Mr. Jones - That will look loads better once you get a nice colour topcoat on" I advised

He smiled and nodded while looking at me from the corner of his eye..

Yes, that 'orrible colour was the topcoat.

(* Actual colour omitted so not to offend anyone with mustard coloured drainpipes and gutters)

Mustard? I'm not normally one to shame anyone for anything, but that's unacceptable.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Have you noticed over the years how popular car colours change. Back in the 70s BL thought poo brown was the in thing amongst over dreary colours. The Germans however enjoyed more brighter colours.
Lime green VW beetles where all the rage.
I think the first modern day colour that i ever saw was the MK1 Golf gti in silver.
Silver has been a very popular colour ever since and has now become way to common for anything to stand out from the crowd..
Recently I've noticed a new trend in colours for cars. Skoda's and even Porsches are running a really depressing battle ship grey.. Each to there own but if i had a choice of any colour when buying a new car, battle ship grey would not be one of them. A really nice looking Porsche came past me the other day only to be spoilt in a dreary grey. Imagine that colour in the depth of winter.. It would look like a wet weekend in Rhyl.
Each to there own i suppose 🤔

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
A friend was training for his first marathon, he'd got a ballot place in London and was keen to do it justice by doing all the recommended training.
Knowing that I'd run a few over the years he asked my advice about what to do on the day.
I jokingly told him to hang on to the Kenyans for as long as he could and then ease off.
Although he didn't follow my advice literally, he did go off too fast and had jelly legs from 18 miles 😢

Top Bottom