Have you ever regretted trying to give helpful advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When I lived in St Andrews a local had hand painted a Marina in a livid lime green with a brush, then picked out the details in fluorescent day-glow pink. Across the doors he'd written, in the same pink, "Another quality BL product!"

You always knew where he was...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I remember a caving trip I went on when in the longish entrance crawl I met two other people on their way out. The informed me that there had been a collapse and the way on was blocked. I naturally enough suggested they showed me the "collapse" just on the off-chance they'd in fact taken a wrong turn. Sure enough, they'd gone the wrong way so I suggested they came with me and I'd show them the route all the way into the cave proper, including a tricky section a bit later on where you have to work your way through some boulders. This done, I went off exploring. I did then wonder if I'd been wise, given they'd already gone wrong in the first 50 yards, and I'd now I'd taken them well into a cave they didn't know and abandoned them !

A few hours later I was back at the tricky crawling through boulders bit and I met them again. They were actually going back into the cave but thought they were on their way out having done some kind of loop the loop in the boulders. Lucky I met them or they'd still be going round and round I expect

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember a caving trip I went on when in the longish entrance crawl I met two other people on their way out. The informed me that there had been a collapse and the way on was blocked. I naturally enough suggested they showed me the "collapse" just on the off-chance they'd in fact taken a wrong turn. Sure enough, they'd gone the wrong way so I suggested they came with me and I'd show them the route all the way into the cave proper, including a tricky section a bit later on where you have to work your way through some boulders. This done, I went off exploring. I did then wonder if I'd been wise, given they'd already gone wrong in the first 50 yards, and I'd now I'd taken them well into a cave they didn't know and abandoned them !

A few hours later I was back at the tricky crawling through boulders bit and I met them again. They were actually going back into the cave but thought they were on their way out having done some kind of loop the loop in the boulders. Lucky I met them or they'd still be going round and round I expect
Or dead. :rolleyes:

Profpointy

Legendary Member

In fairness we'd have gone to look for them if they'd been overdue and likely found them fairly quickly.

On another occasion two of us came across another group underground and one of their number asked "do you know the way out?" and delightedly shook my hand when I said I did. To be fair to them, the leader of their party had hurt himself (not too badly fortunately) and no-one else really knew the way back - the route was pretty complicated. Anyhow, one of us stayed with the victim and the other took most of them out and fetched help so all was well

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When I lived in St Andrews a local had hand painted a Marina in a livid lime green with a brush, then picked out the details in fluorescent day-glow pink. Across the doors he'd written, in the same pink, "Another quality BL product!"

You always knew where he was...
A happy customer, clearly.

I was just thinking of the Austin Maxi... they were often mustard. I wonder what the official name of that colour was; golden barley, sunset dew.

Blaster Bates said he had a car that was described in the catalogue as Safari Yellow (snort) "round 'ere it were known as the flyin' shite".

After 20 years with a white car, buying a silver one has changed everything. I'd always assumed that cars looked clean after you'd washed them, then shortly afterwards and until you next washed them, dirty. Silver cars just never look dirty. Maybe car dirt is car silver colour.

Top Bottom