Have you had a hand written letter from a Jehovah's Witness ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have had two and a friend of my son has had one.
The reason will be... .......
Every JW has to publicly preach**. Normally done by cold calling eg door knocking.
**they have a target of 10 hours per month. Each month they have to submit a signed form showing how many hours etc they have reached.
Problem !!!!!.
The pandemic means they cannot knock on doors.......so they have resorted to writing letters.
Now (and this is my cynical side coming out).......they could print a standard letter out BUT that would take seconds. A hand written letter takes maybe 30 minutes (at a guess) so 20 letters = 10 hours BINGO target reached.
So.....I am interested.......is it local to me? Anyone else received one ??

C R

Guru
I have had two and a friend of my son has had one.
The reason will be... .......
Every JW has to publicly preach**. Normally done by cold calling eg door knocking.
**they have a target of 10 hours per month. Each month they have to submit a signed form showing how many hours etc they have reached.
Problem !!!!!.
The pandemic means they cannot knock on doors.......so they have resorted to writing letters.
Now (and this is my cynical side coming out).......they could print a standard letter out BUT that would take seconds. A hand written letter takes maybe 30 minutes (at a guess) so 20 letters = 10 hours BINGO target reached.
So.....I am interested.......is it local to me? Anyone else received one ??
We had a printed one, with a qr code and all.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We had one from the Mormons during the first lockdown. I think it came by post, printed letter but hand addressed envelope.

We have a Mormon Temple about four miles from our house. Surprised it wasn't delivered by hand.

C R

Guru
When was that ?
Sorry, what's a qr code ?
We had it sometime last week. A qr code is one of those rectangular dot patterns that look like a 2d bar code, they usually encode a link to a website, but I wasn't bothered enough to check what this one linked to, probably their zoom meeting.

Strangely we had one yesterday like as @PaulSB hand written address, what looked like a photo copied hand written letter. I never read it and the missus binned it. At my last house I was on their list of do not bother as I told a doorstep cold caller to take us of their list.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We had one from the Mormons during the first lockdown. I think it came by post, printed letter but hand addressed envelope.

We have a Mormon Temple about four miles from our house. Surprised it wasn't delivered by hand.
Is that the BIG temple near Chorley ?? I remember that being built and thinking "how can they justify the cost.....there surely can't be that many Mormons in the area".

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is that the BIG temple near Chorley ?? I remember that being built and thinking "how can they justify the cost.....there surely can't be that many Mormons in the area".
That's the one. We're all good Mormons in Chorley. 🤔

It is big but serves a huge area from the Midlands northwards, Scotland, Isle of Man, most of the island of Ireland.

They held a two week open session when it was completed in 1998. We went and it was very interesting.

Preston is where the first Mormon missionaries landed in the UK. Not from which planet. Hence it's location.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The JW kingdom hall is 100m up the street from me. They only once put a letter through my door saying that they were having building work done and that they hoped it wouldn't inconvenience me. Then afterwards, they distributed some chocolates:smile:. These are the only times in 12 years here I've ever had any contact with them. To be honest, I get more bother from scammers trying to sell me Amazon prime on the phone.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've had two hand written ones in the last year (Plymouth), and my partner had a printed one the other week. What a waste of time, but each to their own. I have a cousin who is a JW and it's really sad how brinwashed she is. We met up for a family day out 2 summers ago, and there were statues of dinosaurs around a crazy golf course. She started talking to her son who was 4 at the time, and said "They're nice dinosaurs aren't they? And we all know that God made dinosaurs and people all at the same time", and then went on to loudly say how the devil walks among us etc etc. The whole trip turned in to a doom and gloom preaching show so I won't be sad if we don't meet up again for a very long time

Top Bottom