Have you had a hand written letter from a Jehovah's Witness ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
I had a photocopied letter, the bizarre thing is that it was posted second class. What's that, 65p? I live in suburban Leeds, I reckon that armed with a bike and a messenger bag I could get 50 houses done around here in an hour easily, maybe more. That's £30. If they are supposed to put in time to proselytise, I don't know why they don't do this physically and save the organisation money. Perhaps money is something they have.

Reactions: C R

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's bugging me now as i had the letter in my hand only a couple of weeks ago,but can't find it now. I'm going to try and find it and post a pic' of it on here.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I had a printed letter that was hand signed.
It included a personal contact email, if I wanted to follow it up.
I've used the email address to sign up to all sorts of nefarious offers on the internet. :whistle:
Let's see how much they like being spammed......

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I got involved ina fight in the Army, when one squaddie who was a JW got into a heated argument about life saving blood transfusions for children. They came to blows, and then everyone was at it. I don't recall whether JW or The Combined Other Religions team won that one.
I thought JWs eschewed involvement in the military? One of their basic tenets along with not voting or being involved in politics of any sort.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Plymouth Brethren, scarier and more zealous than witnesses by a mile.
I spent a few weeks picking apples in the north of NZ south island once - one of the heartlands for them and their 'Exclusive Brethryn' brethren. Weird bunch. They're strictly forbidden from making eye contact with the heathen, so when you're talking to one, he'll be looking at a spot 4" to the left of your eyes. Surprisingly unsettling. Could be one of the reasons they tend to be absolutely atrocious drivers. (This is not me being Brethrenist - it was common knowledge thereabouts, and the evidence was daily and everywhere.)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
They're not welcome on my property...
1616500509932.png

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My cousin is a JW. He's been one for around 35 years,'converting' when he was about 17/18 years old. Him and his wife who left the catholic faith,much to the disdain of her Irish catholic dad,produced about 6 or 7 children (i can't remember there are so many!:laugh:). They all have Old Testament (i think) names,one being called Gabriel. He (cousin) was a window cleaner for many years,as all window cleaners around here seemed to be JW's. His mother died suddenly in 1995. I remember going to see her in the chapel of rest. It wasn't a nice sight as she hadn't been 'made up'. I asked the undertaker why. He told me it was the wishes of my cousin as JW's don't believe in it being done. My auntie/his mother was a smart woman who would've been appalled at the thought of her being seen without make-up,even when dead. He shouldn't have imposed his religion like that on a non JW,even if it was his own mother! He and his family,at our grandma's funeral sat at the back of the church,refusing to take part in the singing (or miming,like many of us do) of hymns and definitely not mumbling through the prayers (again,like many of us do). I still think of those episodes as him being totally disrespectful and imposing his religion (some would say cult) on others!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just thought of another JW horrible incident. Our next door neighbour in the late 1960's/early 70's was a JW. His Border Collie dog had pups. As children we asked to see the pups,but he said something like 'oh they've gone to their new homes'. One day we were playing in the cemetery next to our street when we discovered about 4 or 5 drowned pups,lined up side by side. The monster had drowned them and dumped them in the cemetery!:sad:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Back in the day drowning unwanted pups in a bucket was pretty mormal. I can remember instances of it from when I was a nipper. Not condoning it, but different times and all that.
True,but to dump them where children might find them,or anyone for that matter was unacceptable! I also think there was a bit of showing contempt for 'non believers' in dumping them in a Christian cemetery.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I have not seen a hand written note from a JW. I will say that I've had a couple engaging discussions with some JWs that were canvassing my neighborhood. I tend to pose an alternative perspective to theirs. One that illustrates my commitment to my own religion, which their religion is ironically built on. I will also admonish them, indicating that I believe religion is a very personal thing and I for one would never personally "sell" or "market" my religion to others. I've actually found that they typically don't have good answers to my posed alternative perspectives. But then, I suppose if I were selling my own religion, I'd be in the same boat as they are, being unable to respond to reasonable alternative perspectives. Thats' the thing about religion. It isn't logical or rational. My message ultimately is to let them know that I follow my own religion and am very happy with that religion and that they ought to respect that or they might begin to get my own selling pitch for my religion. ^_^

Top Bottom