Have you had a hand written letter from a Jehovah's Witness ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We used to get regular visits from Mrs Robinson, a spherical 'Praise de Lord' JW. My Mum bought Awake and Watchtower, because she loved Mrs Robinson. Mrs Robinson used to pray for me for upcoming exams, and her delight when her prayers were answered was as real as it was heartwarming.

Sadly, my younger sister used to doctor the magazines. An ad on one back page featured the Garden of Eden, pre-man, and the headline "What did God see missing?" A McDonalds had been added in the background.

My auntie/his mother was a smart woman who would've been appalled at the thought of her being seen without make-up,even when dead. He shouldn't have imposed his religion like that on a non JW

That is very sad, and you're right. That's her decision, not theirs.

tyred

Legendary Member
The only post I get is the gas bill and menus from the local Chinese Takeaway.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
We don't get too many visits, certainly since lock down. You can usually spot them a mile off, very smartly dressed walking up the road in groups. We either don't answer the door or send them screaming saying we are Roman Catholic, not interested :laugh: (I am but not practicing). :laugh:

I object deeply to anyone ramming their religion on anyone else - what you do is your business and not mine.

Unfortunately, Christian faiths or whatever derivation/cult grew out of it, they all share the 'must gain converts' ideology. Christians who say to me, a gay man, that they object to homosexuality as they don't want their kids 'recruited' into the 'gay lifestyle', pisses me off and I take great pains to correct them. I also ask them if they've ever just got home from work and someone knocks at the door asking if they're interested in being gay. Never happens:okay:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately, Christian faiths or whatever derivation/cult grew out of it, they all share the 'must gain converts' ideology. Christians who say to me, a gay man, that they object to homosexuality as they don't want their kids 'recruited' into the 'gay lifestyle',

I'm not surprised, hence why I never bother with religion. Makes the JW's run in horror though - I'm not 'technically lying' - I don't tell them I no longer follow the preaching ! :laugh:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I had a photocopied letter, the bizarre thing is that it was posted second class. What's that, 65p? I live in suburban Leeds, I reckon that armed with a bike and a messenger bag I could get 50 houses done around here in an hour easily, maybe more. That's £30. If they are supposed to put in time to proselytise, I don't know why they don't do this physically and save the organisation money. Perhaps money is something they have.
We had similar. My road has over 140 houses, so including the envelop, pamphlet and stamp they spent over £100 just to mail drop one road.

C R

Guru
We had similar. My road has over 140 houses, so including the envelop, pamphlet and stamp they spent over £100 just to mail drop one road.
It is their money, up to them how they spend it. Giving it to me would probably produce something more useful, though, :whistle:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A JW who used to visit every now and again stopped during lockdown... I get a hand addressed typed letter occasionally. He knows that I am amused by belief in a god or gods so gave up years ago, I quite like having a general 'how are you chat' with him now and again when I see him out and about- he's accepted that he's banned from talking about religion!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had a photocopied letter, the bizarre thing is that it was posted second class. What's that, 65p? I live in suburban Leeds, I reckon that armed with a bike and a messenger bag I could get 50 houses done around here in an hour easily, maybe more. That's £30. If they are supposed to put in time to proselytise, I don't know why they don't do this physically and save the organisation money. Perhaps money is something they have.
2 parts to that.
The pandemic stops them calling, although, having said that post men are working so I suppose they could?
The organisation doesn't pay, each publisher (as they are called) funds it themselves.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I thought JWs eschewed involvement in the military? One of their basic tenets along with not voting or being involved in politics of any sort.
very true. They WILL NOT join the armed forces.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, it was a bloody good argument about JW's then!

My presumption was that the lad defending JWs not permitting life saving treatment to children was a JW, but its possible he may have just been arguing a principle as an excuse for a barney.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My most recent Jehovah's Witness experience was one accused of child abuse.

Odd set-up, I spoke to the victim's father who was still keen on taking his daughter to meetings, even though he knew the abuser would likely be there.

They also appeared to be on speaking terms.

If it were my daughter I'd be tempted to separate the abuser's head from his shoulders, and I certainly couldn't be civil to him.

The court's public gallery was packed with camp followers, mostly for the defendant.

Apparently witnesses using meetings to gain access to children to abuse is very big licks in Australia, although not so much here - with at least one exception.

keithmac

Guru
One of my friends at school was a Mormon, really nice lad and never mentioned religion.

He did missionary work after University and came back as a local GP.

Never had a letter from JW's though!.

Top Bottom