Have you had a hand written letter from a Jehovah's Witness ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The stuff about the tax returns is scarily prescient.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
That's interesting - she actually gave her reason as 'not allowed to'. I guess it's honest at least.
Next time I'm offered the Watchtower I'll say I'm not allowed to read it :-)

I have no idea if what she said was just an excuse or if they are genuinely not allowed to read material opposing their view of reality. I couldnt help but feel pity for her.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Christianity isn't the only religion that tries to convert people to their beliefs. All religions do it.

Buddhism doesn't. The Dalai Lama is actually quite insistent on that.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Ok,that's one that doesn't. But don't they 'attract' new followers rather than try and convert? 🤔

Attract, yes but not convert as Christians/JW etc do.

We see it as Karma that someone wishes to know about Buddhism but there's no conversion methods, just up to the individual to take it further if they so wish.

So it won't just be me who 'Barbara' has her eye on!:sad: :rolleyes: I received one of these letters about 2 months ago. It made me wonder who 'Your neighbour Barbara' was. I thought of all the Barbaras i know or know of (about 4) and thought 'Hey up,it's her way of getting to know me intimately'.:shy: I didn't approach them,but did mention the letter to friends. Now i know she was only after my soul and not my body!:sad:
;)
could it be the notorious Accrington sex cult?

Unfortunately, Christian faiths or whatever derivation/cult grew out of it, they all share the 'must gain converts' ideology. Christians who say to me, a gay man, that they object to homosexuality as they don't want their kids 'recruited' into the 'gay lifestyle', pisses me off and I take great pains to correct them. I also ask them if they've ever just got home from work and someone knocks at the door asking if they're interested in being gay. Never happens:okay:.
I'm virtually always very polite/friendly with religious door knockers, just suggesting they move on to more promising candidates, but a while ago I did get a pair from a rather evangelical looking bunch. So I asked about their attitude to homosexuality. They waffled but it was pretty clear what they thought.
For sure after this last year of hell and resounding silence from all shades of religion on the matter any who turn up on my doorstep from now on are going to get asked some tough but fair and very relevant questions.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My most recent Jehovah's Witness experience was one accused of child abuse.

Odd set-up, I spoke to the victim's father who was still keen on taking his daughter to meetings, even though he knew the abuser would likely be there.

They also appeared to be on speaking terms.

If it were my daughter I'd be tempted to separate the abuser's head from his shoulders, and I certainly couldn't be civil to him.

The court's public gallery was packed with camp followers, mostly for the defendant.

Apparently witnesses using meetings to gain access to children to abuse is very big licks in Australia, although not so much here - with at least one exception.
Its been a massive problem in Australia and America. Its already cost them $millions and it only just started.
There was a real smelly case (maybe the one you refer to) in Oldham....I know the details for absolute fact.
I also know for an absolute fact.........years ago every congregation in the UK has letters from head office instructing them, if there is any accusation of child abuse it is to be dealt with by local elders DO NOT GET THE POLICE INVOLVED.

Top Bottom