Have you met anyone famous while cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
full?d=1427901710.jpg

Apart from Jimmy Saville who i met in Otley.I won't talk about him.This The Purpleman of York is the most famous person i have met.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The late Graham Taylor, when we were both on the British Legion Pedal to Paris in 2010.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We met the Purple Man last year when we were in York

The most famous people i ever met were , Mr & Mrs Barker , D Poutney , R Smith , J Young along with my Father who all ignited my interest in cycling when i rode with the Kidderminster section of the ctc and a big special thanks to Neil White who gave me my first tandem ride :laugh: .

Ok none of them are famous but they were to me

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
We met the Purple Man last year when we were in York

The most famous people i ever met were , Mr & Mrs Barker , D Poutney , R Smith , J Young along with my Father who all ignited my interest in cycling when i rode with the Kidderminster section of the ctc and a big special thanks to Neil White who gave me my first tandem ride :laugh: .

Ok none of them are famous but they were to me

Ronnie Barker is famous,so is Ray Smith he kept us all entrtained in the old Data Post room at Wellington Street.And who can ever forget Jimmy Young,Pop Master.You have met some famous people.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I met Tobias Ludvigsson of team Giant Alpecin at Schiphol Airport last year, we weren't cycling but he did have his bike with him in a big bag. Very tall man.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'm an Arsenal fan, I've been a fan through thick and thin for the last quarter century. When I say I'm an Arsenal fan I've never been to a match, or even watched a match on telly, I've no idea where they are in the league, I've no real interest in football, but as the wife supports Man U and the father in law is an Arsenal fan, I therefore am also an Arsenal fan.

Some years ago I went on a long cycle ride with many thousands of other riders (it was a test run for the Tour de France), after a few miles I found my pace, and got talking to the rather nice chap call Ian as we pootled through the Kent countryside for the day. He rode at the same speed as me and we discussed many topics, the weather, the best bike, the people cycling around us, our interests, family, jobs etc. We shared our picnic lunch in a pub and the carried on to the end of the ride.

As we passed through the finish line the combined press corps surged forward getting our photos, my new mate Ian had a number of TV cameras pointed in his face and several journo's came up and asked him his impression of the ride, what he thought of his time, and so on.

Later that evening, watching the local news on the telly, there I was with my new mate Ian as we crossed the line, even the wife was impressed and the father in law phoned up. I had to very quietly ask who he was, as I had no idea he was famous.

Ian Wright, Arsenal striker and 30+ caps for England.

Brains

Legendary Member
Boris Johnson, seen him a couple of times back in the days when he was just a well known MP, he used to ride a Brompton from the East End to Westminster most days

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I cycled down to Bosham one day and nearly run over Jonny what's it, from A Place in the Sun Home and Away. They were between takes.

Sharky

Guru
Was out training a long time ago on the East Lancs Road and at night time ! Dont think anyone would be brave enough nowadays. Anyway, i got caught by the Kirby chaingang which contained several stars of the day including Doug Dailey and Dave Rollinson. Doug Dailey even spoke to me - he said "your saddle looks a bit low". Managed to hang on for a few miles before being blown off.

Top Bottom