Have you met anyone famous while cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Me too. Was @Justinslow there too or am I confused?

I've encountered Prince Harry as he revved around on a quad bike. I've not yet seen any of the royals and politicians who reportedly cycle in coastal Norfolk.
I rode the TOB final stage last year. We were led out by Sir Brad, Ed Clancy and Owain Doull.
Although I didn't get anywhere near them as I was suffering leg cramps :thumbsdown:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
D Poutney
Excellent chap is Dave. Ridden with him a few times.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As per my previous post in Pro Cycling:

A couple of years ago we were doing a Sportive from Malvern. The Cycling Weekly Mad Hatter Sportive. We left on the second wave, and caught up with this bloke who was looking for company at a decent speed, and liked the pace and company, so stayed with us for the rest of the ride. We got chatting, and he told us that he worked in Automotive, but was looking to retire.

For some reason, my cycling companion decided to have a better look when he got home. Easy to find his name in the list of finishers, did a quick search on the internet, and found a few articles with his name and photo. Turned out that "worked in automotive" meant a bit more than that. He was head of VW North America after being Managing Director of Jaguar cars.

This man is now head of British Cycling.

Met someone who said that he cycled with Paul Smith (and others). It seems that (other than a few exceptions) that cycing is a great leveller, in that people like Ian Wright and Jonathon Browning, who wouldn't otherwise talk to someone like us, given a few hours away from it all, in need of a distraction, and with a clear common interest, are quite happy to chat away like they are just regular people.

Proto

Legendary Member
Riding the Cape Argus, went past Sir Richard Branson (and his entourage) near Muizenberg. Shouted "Good morning Richard" at him which seemed to make him laugh.

I sometimes ride with members of Drops Cycling UCI Pro women's team ^_^

David Millar joined one of our Wednesday evening chain gangs. I couldn't keep up so went in the medium group :sad:

We rode ofrom Polenca, Majorca to the Velodrome at Sineau, and bumped into Sean Kelly. Not literally, he was with another cycling group.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Ok, technically I'd just stopped cycling and locked my bike up outside St Nicholas Market in Bristol. First person I spot inside was the actor Timothy West and I assume he was there with his wife Prunella Scales filming stuff for their Great Canal Journeys show. Maybe right - that segment was on telly the other night.

Top Bottom