Have you seen any improvement in performance after joining a club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a few runs out with a local club and it was very enjoyable. BUT, for me personally it's difficult to get out due to my shifts so i don't believe i would get the level of consistency required. Anyway, i felt they slowed me down :laugh:
But for the OP then definately give it a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained, and as someone has already said there are usually sub groups of varying abilities so you will find your own niche soon enough.
At my last club a lot of riders never came out on the weekend (shifts) but there was quite an active facebook page of midweek rides which they slotted into. I've just discovered my new club has something similar and I got out with them last night :smile:

Grizzly

Keep at the fitness then have another go, I say! My bike is also a 30+ year old Steel bike, and it just makes it all the more sweeter when you're waiting for half the folk on carbon bikes at the top of climbs. :tongue:

Although poor show by the club member re. the Pinarello comment, hardly the best way to welcome newbies. I guess I'm lucky in that the members of my club ride a wide array of bikes from top carbon racers to vintage steel running period components! It's also worth mentioning that many quality steel frames weigh just as much (if not less) than modern entry level aluminium frames.

I couldn't agree more. I have a mate who will not buy carbon, he does the Caledonia Etape in a sub 4 hr time on an old clapped out thing he put together himself. Get fit, get fast, feel smug!

billy1561

BB wrecker
At my last club a lot of riders never came out on the weekend (shifts) but there was quite an active facebook page of midweek rides which they slotted into. I've just discovered my new club has something similar and I got out with them last night :smile:
That's an interesting point that regarding midweek runs. Without being a member i don't have access to the ride forums of the club. It's only £15 for the year so worth joining anyway probably and as with my own advice above nothing ventured etc....
Thanks.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
A club is a great idea of you haven't got a regular cycling buddy; I've a pal who is colosely matched to me although a tiny bit faster so I get a good workout when we ride and we have the freedom to stop wherever we want and go wherever we want. We have tried going out with a local club and enjoyed the ride but don't feel any great desire to join.

I'm in a similar position. I also seem to have a problem with having to pay (in any form) someone else when I want to go out on my bike.

I was looking forward to going out with a local club but was disappointed when I did.
My bike is over 30 years old and a steel frame, I can't afford anything more up to date at the moment. Everyone I met were on new carbon frames, 1 guy told me my bike was twice the weight of his Pinarello. I felt out of my comfort zone and dropped on every incline and only once did someone come back to me. Every other time I was left to my own devices to catch up if I could. My fitness wasn't that bad as I managed to catch up on the descents and even had to keep braking to avoid running into the back of the rider in front. I would like to go out with other riders for the chance to improve my fitness but not to feel I am holding others up with my embarrassing, aged bike. At the cafe stop I was spoken to but all the other riders knew each other and I was not made that welcome and again felt out of place.
I feel clubs are probably the best way to go to improve your fitness but I felt I needed a financial input, I cannot afford, to avoid being an embarrassment to the regular members.
If it is the club I am thinking you are talking about then I can understand where you are coming from, we were members there for a couple of years and although we didn't have any problems with the pace I can sympathize with your comments. The club tended to be dominated by one person and no one else got much of a say, I was hoping things had changed a bit over the last couple of years. Is it the one near the river and a big roundabout?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
If it is the club I am thinking you are talking about then I can understand where you are coming from, we were members there for a couple of years and although we didn't have any problems with the pace I can sympathize with your comments. The club tended to be dominated by one person and no one else got much of a say, I was hoping things had changed a bit over the last couple of years. Is it the one near the river and a big roundabout?
I don't think the club I joined up with for one Sunday ride is the one you are thinking off. I'm the opposite side of Leicester to you.
I've resigned myself to going out on my own, when the weather improves, unless I get to find someone like-minded. I moved to Leicestershire 4 years ago and still don't know many folks round my way into cycling the sort of 20 to 30+ I want to be doing.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Some clubs will be like that, others won't. Sounds like the club you went out with were not for you, I would not write off all clubs on that basis.

Top Bottom