Have you seen any improvement in performance after joining a club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I have been cycling as a hobby for the last two years and mostly I go out on my own. Over this time I have seen improvements in my fitness and performance i.e. my speed has gone up as well as the distance I cycle however, I am thinking of joining a club (1) for the social aspect and (2) in the hope that I will see further gains in my performance.

So the question is quite simple, anyone who has been in my position and has subsequently joined a club, have you experienced any performance gains?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes I have. But it depends on the club and the ability levels as to what you will get out of it.

Clinging onto a group that is right on the edge of your ability does wonders for your performance. As does the little bit of competition on occasions.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Yes is the simple answer. Probably mainly due to the cammoradory, I think a club has motivated me to cycle longer, more regularly and faster. I've also been able to pick up tips from other riders.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
The problem is finding that group that is right on the edge of your performance.

Agreed, it's very difficult; it's often the case of finding a sub-group that is right on the edge of your performance.

Buzzinonbikes

It's helped me massively. Mainly group riding skills (which are still coming on) and motivating me to get out in between club rides. Riding at speed over decent distances is way more fun in a group!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yes - I was improving anyway, due to other factors but I think joining a club has helped a lot, especially in regards to motivating me to go out every weekend (often both days) and do long rides. Group riding (at pace) has come along nicely, too.

robjh

Legendary Member
Yes, a definite improvement and very quickly. Luckily our club is a large one and has several groups going out on any Sunday, so I found the right level after 2 goes.
I found the hardest thing was keeping up the pace throughout - I was used to long rides on my own, but would always slow down later on, whereas the regular riders are all used to hammering through 60-70 mile rides at a fairly constant pace - in fact they (we) often speed up for a sprint on the final homeward leg.
I found this last stretch pretty tough at first, but after about 6 rides I was up there with the rest.
And riding with a club is fun - once I joined I wondered why I'd never done so before.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A club is a great idea of you haven't got a regular cycling buddy; I've a pal who is colosely matched to me although a tiny bit faster so I get a good workout when we ride and we have the freedom to stop wherever we want and go wherever we want. We have tried going out with a local club and enjoyed the ride but don't feel any great desire to join.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Thanks for all the positive feedback.
I am going to have a chat with my local LBS because I am aware of two local clubs and I believe they know them both and hopefully will be able to give me an idea on which one may be best suited to me.
My thoughts are to go out for a couple of rides and see what I think, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

TonyEnjoyD I hope your drinking problem get better or you just learn to spill less ^_^
How is Newcastle, I will be up there next week as my daughter is at Newcastle Uni. I have to say, I think it is a great part of the UK to live.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I was looking forward to going out with a local club but was disappointed when I did.
My bike is over 30 years old and a steel frame, I can't afford anything more up to date at the moment. Everyone I met were on new carbon frames, 1 guy told me my bike was twice the weight of his Pinarello. I felt out of my comfort zone and dropped on every incline and only once did someone come back to me. Every other time I was left to my own devices to catch up if I could. My fitness wasn't that bad as I managed to catch up on the descents and even had to keep braking to avoid running into the back of the rider in front. I would like to go out with other riders for the chance to improve my fitness but not to feel I am holding others up with my embarrassing, aged bike. At the cafe stop I was spoken to but all the other riders knew each other and I was not made that welcome and again felt out of place.
I feel clubs are probably the best way to go to improve your fitness but I felt I needed a financial input, I cannot afford, to avoid being an embarrassment to the regular members.

HovR

Über Member
I was looking forward to going out with a local club but was disappointed when I did.
My bike is over 30 years old and a steel frame, I can't afford anything more up to date at the moment. Everyone I met were on new carbon frames, 1 guy told me my bike was twice the weight of his Pinarello.

Keep at the fitness then have another go, I say! My bike is also a 30+ year old Steel bike, and it just makes it all the more sweeter when you're waiting for half the folk on carbon bikes at the top of climbs. :tongue:

Although poor show by the club member re. the Pinarello comment, hardly the best way to welcome newbies. I guess I'm lucky in that the members of my club ride a wide array of bikes from top carbon racers to vintage steel running period components! It's also worth mentioning that many quality steel frames weigh just as much (if not less) than modern entry level aluminium frames.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Had a few runs out with a local club and it was very enjoyable. BUT, for me personally it's difficult to get out due to my shifts so i don't believe i would get the level of consistency required. Anyway, i felt they slowed me down :laugh:
But for the OP then definately give it a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained, and as someone has already said there are usually sub groups of varying abilities so you will find your own niche soon enough.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
My bike is over 30 years old and a steel frame, I can't afford anything more up to date at the moment. Everyone I met were on new carbon frames, 1 guy told me my bike was twice the weight of his Pinarello. I felt out of my comfort zone and dropped on every incline and only once did someone come back to me. Every other time I was left to my own devices to catch up if I could. My fitness wasn't that bad as I managed to catch up on the descents and even had to keep braking to avoid running into the back of the rider in front. I would like to go out with other riders for the chance to improve my fitness but not to feel I am holding others up with my embarrassing, aged bike. At the cafe stop I was spoken to but all the other riders knew each other and I was not made that welcome and again felt out of place.
I feel clubs are probably the best way to go to improve your fitness but I felt I needed a financial input, I cannot afford, to avoid being an embarrassment to the regular members.
Doesn't sound like a good club. We usually all head out of town together but our rides usually split into a faster and slower group (the fast folk are usually looking at training, for racing/ continental sportives and the slow are interested in a more leisurely banter) and with both groups if somebody gets dropped the riders wait for them btbh the relaxed group wouldn't drop anyone ;) Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you'd fit comfortably into the relaxed group. If you can perhaps shop around and find another club.

Top Bottom