Have you seen any top pros when riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
So the other day I was 50 miles into a 75 miler, riding along a flat stretch at a good strong steady pace although I wasn't busting a gut given I was quite far from home. Those local may know the back road from Ilkley to Otley that runs through a village called Askwith. Anyway I was shocked to notice someone on my right shoulder overtaking me. He looked directly at me although I didn't hear him say anything. I grunted a "morning" or "I'm just out on a recovery ride" or something. ^_^

As I was going pretty fast I immediately thought wtf and instinctively looked down at my Garmin to check my speed. I was doing 25mph although I had a good tailwind. When I looked back up this guy was cruising away with effortless ease. Then I noticed the black and blue sky pro team kit. Helmet, clothing, and bike including the sky insignia on the seat post. I also clocked the build of the rider, very tall and thin.

Now I know you can buy most if not all of this kit but seriously this guy had all the uniform and bike. I got out the saddle as you do and give it some beans but sadly this guy pulled away at a truly astonishing pace. He was out of site within a minute or two. It was awesome to watch a pure, elegant cyclist doing what he did.
So I'm as sure as I can be that it was Sir Brad. It's not that far fetched as he lives in the next county perhaps 40-50 miles away. I don't believe he was any ordinary cyclist whether that be a top club rider or otherwise.

Anyone else with similar stories?

My OH was overtaken last week by one on his way home from work. Support car & spare bike handy, but don't know who...
(A49 out of Stockton Heath, but before the M56 is all I could ascertain from my OH!)

Chris Boardman lives down the road from me and I used to see him out training occasionally. It's when you see them effortlessly cruising along roads you struggle on, you realize why they are pro's. These days i see him effortlessly shopping in Morrison's.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Seen Mark Cavendish around here a couple of times. You can't miss him, he rides with some lackey on a moped behind him carrying a couple of spare wheels.

I did this ride report where I got passed by a few of the GB squad: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.8938/page-637

I am forever being passed up the big hills in the Peak District by unfeasibly skinny guys in full team kits but no idea who they are

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pantani, Valverde, Robert Millar (retired), Marcel Wüst (retired after career-ending injury which cost him an eye), Sid Barras (retired, former GB road race champion), Deb Murell (MTB), several others ...

Yes, they are impressive to watch in action. RM, MW and SB all led rides that I did on training camps in Spain and were at less than 50% of their racing fitness but they were tearing up climbs with ease in the big ring, when we were grovelling up in small gears!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've seen Brad out in the Ribble Valley. I think.

This is getting a bit like the story of King Charles who seems to have slept in just about every oak in the damned country; everywhere you go there's an oak tree in which Charles slept; soon it will be every tea shop where King Brad was seen enjoying an expresso.

ColinJ

And more recently, @ColinJ ? :whistle::giggle: (Though I concede you didn't actually see him...)
Oh yes, (addled brain!) ... :laugh:

I recently cycled up the local Cragg Vale climb which will feature on stage 2 of this year's Tour de France. I spotted a large gathering of cyclists on one side of the road, and several police officers in attendance to control traffic and the crowd. On the other side of the road was a UCI vehicle, a smaller crowd, and a camera crew with some would-be celeb being filmed to get their 30 seconds of fame on the local news. Of course, I completely ignored all of this and cycled on up the hill solo.

What I did not know at the time was that Bernard Hinault, 5 times TdF winner and one of the top pros of all time was there doing pre-Tour publicity, and shortly afterwards led a group ride up the climb! :banghead:

Still, not many people can honestly say they beat 'The Badger' to the top of a hill! :becool:

ColinJ

I've seen Brad out in the Ribble Valley. I think.

This is getting a bit like the story of King Charles who seems to have slept in just about every oak in the damned country; everywhere you go there's an oak tree in which Charles slept; soon it will be every tea shop where King Brad was seen enjoying an expresso.
Funnily enough ...

My first sighting of Pantani was of him going up a climb as fast as I was going down it! The second time was at a seaside cafe, enjoying a coffee. My fellow riders did not know that he had recently had cosmetic surgery on his nose and ears so they thought he was a lookalike wannabe.

matthat

Über Member
I've seen Chris boardman several times around the wirrall when taking part in the wirral bikeathon. I've also unknowingly at the time sat chatting to his dad at the two mills bike cafe. I used to peddle around wrightington lancs when living out that way which is wiggo's home turf but never actually seen him!!

dodgy

Funny how often Boardman's name pops up in this thread, see him fairly often. Also Steve Cummings, was on the drag up to Hawarden some time last year, it's a steadily steepening climb and he just cruised past me. I also see Dave Lloyd often, always on the drops, always gritting his teeth.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You get loads of GB riders as well as pros around here, it so close to BC headquarters. The terrain is great for training as well with superb hills on the doorstep. Regularly see Rapha Condor Jlt riders. Once rode with Mike Cumming for about 5 miles after he caught me going over the Wizard. The local TT's quite often have pros riding in them. It is a bit weird thinking Simon Yates or Laura Trott were in the same TT you were in.

Top Bottom