Have you seen any top pros when riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ushills

Veteran
I'm going to show my age here, but I often used to ride with Phil Bateman.

We (me and a mate) used to meet up with him when he started his training rides and he had the courtesy of encouraging our training, then after about 25-30 miles he would say "see you later, lads!" and continue his training run and we would head home.

He didn't say a lot but used to set the pace.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Not seen many top Pro's but did do the Tour Of Britain sportive last yr when the local Node4 boys were riding it. They overtook me up the Oakmoor climb like I was standing still, and I set a PB that day. One of them was off the back taking his time, so I tagged along for with him for a while for a chat. That was until we got to the roaches descent where he went down at a truly frightening speed, too much for me to follow.

jay clock

Massive member
Ok, my claim to fame is that I raced in Mallorca Half Ironman against Laurent Jalabert and WON. Well a moral victory. He finished an 59 minutes ahead of me on the bike (2h14 for 90k vs my 3h13) , but I applied a one hour penalty to him for previous EPO usage, so therefore beat him by one minute.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I've ridden next to Graham Jones in a race, quite happy to say at one point I was along side him in the bunch, it was quite a few years ago.

.stu

Über Member
Not seen any pros, but a few months back I saw a young lad on a Carrera Vanquish bike, sky gear and massive brad-style sideboards. More recently, I saw a guy on a Pinnarelo in full sky kit rising on the pavement ffs.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I saw a guy in the Evans shop at the Velodrome, Dogma, full Sky kit, the works....

.... he was actually a nobody, just a fan boy.

I have yet to meet a bigger nobber.

People can do what they want... but if you are capable of experiencing shame or embarrassment, there is no place more likely for it to happen than there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Another event today would you believe!

Riding North of Leeds on Eccup Lane for those locals that know the area. I had just passed the New Inn pub and was about to descend quite a steep hill, when I noticed the Giant-Shimano Team climbing it, lead by team car and followed by large van/camper van vehicle. Almost sure this road is on the TDF route so obviously on a reccee. So I stopped to watch them climb forgetting to get a few photos :cursing: They weren't going super fast so thought I'd chase them to see if I could get close enough for some pics. I narrowed the gap getting to within 100 yrds when they approached a red light in Adel. This was my opportunity I thought. Although I didn't see lead car go through the red, the riders did; I managed to get a photo of the Camper Van until he thought he better jump the red and get close to the group. Although I followed them a bit further I lost them prior to ring road roundabout, so guessed wrong as to which way they turned.

And now I see this :- http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...o-ride-tour-de-france-yorkshire-stages-120777

Diggs

Veteran
Ahhhh.... So that was Cav I saw

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Another event today would you believe!

Riding North of Leeds on Eccup Lane for those locals that know the area. I had just passed the New Inn pub and was about to descend quite a steep hill, when I noticed the Giant-Shimano Team climbing it, lead by team car and followed by large van/camper van vehicle. Almost sure this road is on the TDF route so obviously on a reccee. So I stopped to watch them climb forgetting to get a few photos :cursing: They weren't going super fast so thought I'd chase them to see if I could get close enough for some pics. I narrowed the gap getting to within 100 yrds when they approached a red light in Adel. This was my opportunity I thought. Although I didn't see lead car go through the red, the riders did; I managed to get a photo of the Camper Van until he thought he better jump the red and get close to the group. Although I followed them a bit further I lost them prior to ring road roundabout, so guessed wrong as to which way they turned.

And now I see this :- http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...o-ride-tour-de-france-yorkshire-stages-120777
Was it really that cold in Yorkshire today that they needed three layers on. Certainly wasn't in Cheshire. Getting towed up the climb by the team car. Bloomin continental jesssies. :whistle::giggle:

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Was it really that cold in Yorkshire today that they needed three layers on. Certainly wasn't in Cheshire. Getting towed up the climb by the team car. Bloomin continental jesssies. :whistle::giggle:
That link in cycling weekly was from yesterday's ride. Today was beautiful day although breezy.

Top Bottom