Have you seen the latest TV ad from the "nations biggest cycle seller"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
Why can't anyone advertise bikes normally? It's always portrayed as some kind of specific event. What about showing how a bike can be better for getting to work? Surely the whole 'rush hour traffic' thing is a cow just waiting to be milked?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
But the advert like it or loathe it, it is doing its job as people are talking about it !!!
True [sorry :whistle: ]
I don't like the idea that Crackle's been down our street, especially since it's a cul-de-sac so he can't claim it was accidental...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Why can't anyone advertise bikes normally? It's always portrayed as some kind of specific event. What about showing how a bike can be better for getting to work? Surely the whole 'rush hour traffic' thing is a cow just waiting to be milked?

True.

Check out the ITV Sports advert, or the shiny new Wiggle ad, both portray cycling as a sport, an aspirational one at that, ITV has chosen to take it down the "serious" route and includes cycling as being as "serious" as the footy. Where as Wiggle is aiming at the family.

Both understand their market, neither of them patronise and they both come across as a bit sexy, admittedly the wiggle ad is pretty cheesy but it is at least portraying a very positive view of cycling, not some threadbare cliché that we really should, by now have stopped rolling out.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Agreed. I've always found it amusing that ads for new cars show the driver moving along a road with stuff-all traffic, great scenery, etc. Then they buy the car, and reality sets in: peak-hour traffic. An ad showing how little bicycles are affected by peak-hour traffic would be a great idea.

G3CWI

Veteran
Agreed. I've always found it amusing that ads for new cars show the driver moving along a road with stuff-all traffic, great scenery, etc. Then they buy the car, and reality sets in: peak-hour traffic. An ad showing how little bicycles are affected by peak-hour traffic would be a great idea.

I see what you are saying but the tricky thing is that cycling in peak hour traffic in big cities looks dangerous to most folk including some (many?) cyclists. Of course showing lightly trafficked routes would be good but the reality for cyclists is that they often don't exist or are in poor condition. Actually my own commute would be a good example of what you are looking for in one way. I can either drive in along a busy main road and through a small town with the usual hold-ups, or cycle using a different route along largely deserted country lanes door to door. 12 minutes longer on the bike (max).

Kookas

Über Member
I see what you are saying but the tricky thing is that cycling in peak hour traffic in big cities looks dangerous to most folk including some (many?) cyclists. Of course showing lightly trafficked routes would be good but the reality for cyclists is that they often don't exist or are in poor condition. Actually my own commute would be a good example of what you are looking for in one way. I can either drive in along a busy main road and through a small town with the usual hold-ups, or cycle using a different route along largely deserted country lanes door to door. 12 minutes longer on the bike (max).

Don't portray it as dangerous then - because to be honest, it isn't. I feel safer filtering than I do otherwise because I'm not relying so much on other people's driving to keep me safe.

Top Bottom