Having a camera mounted to the bike really makes a difference in drivers behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again,
I think I've briefly mentioned this before here on Cycle Chat, but now that I've done a good few miles on the bike i can safely say, having a Go Pro or similar fitted to the rear of the bike really changes the attitude of motorists when passing by.
I've done around 2000 miles now over the last couple of months, and have been experimenting in using it in different positions on the bike. Fitted to the front is by far the best place to record nice action shots. If you're vain enough by the appearance of your bike, it also looks much neater mounted underneath on an out front Garmin mount.
My bug bear though is the regular close passes we often get, where drivers are either to impatient to wait for a safe place to pass or just lunatics. This really boils my "P" when it happens and find myself foaming at the mouth with temper when it happens.
However I've really noticed when placing the Go Pro on the seat rail mount pointing backwards, close passes become a rarity.. In fact i can't help but notice as to how drivers overreact in giving me a ridiculous amount of room. This also seems to be more apparent by drivers that have been held up for a few moments. I'm putting this down to them actually realising there being watched after seeing the camera. Obviously being stuck behind a cyclist gives a motorist more time to spot the camera.
Initially my intention for a camera was to record nice shots of the country side but i find it far more useful as a deterrent against close passes.
I think if the Go Pro was a bright colour instead of its dark grey colour, it would really catch the eyes of drivers even more so.
If money is tight in these uncertain times, even a fake camera or a cheap broken Go Pro would do the trick in making drivers pass safely.
Obviously not all motorists will notice but every little helps in our safety. Over the last couple of months I've had three close passes to which I've done something about. Each occasion the camera was fitted to the front and got a clear view of the vehicle. They were commercial vehicles and managed to call the company to complain about their bad driving..
I know this is just my own views and opinion, and that it may be just coincidental but from what I've seen over the many miles, it does seem to make a difference having the camera pointing backwards.

Attachments

• 15947693847092692895019806333514.jpg
    15947693847092692895019806333514.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Nice to know you're having a positive outcome from using it. They can work in stopping close passes, as you've found.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers @classic33.
Its not a miracle cure to stop close passes for sure, but it does seem to have a noticeable effect on alot of drivers.
For once in my life I'm hoping I'm "right" on this as it can only be a good thing for us cyclists :=)))

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It just may be coincidental with me at the moment. Time will tell no doubt as the miles slowly click by on my travels.
With things being the way they are with the recent "lock down" my findings may be simply down to this.

classic33

Leg End Member
Primary reason for me buying a helmet camera was just to record the rides. Out in whatever the weather was doing. Looking back and saying "did I really do that", or as proof I had done. Caught out in a bit of a thunderstorm or a bit of rain.

Anything else was extra.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Interesting and surprising, to me, to read of your experience @johnnyb47 With one exception I can't say I have ever noticed a camera mounted on a bike. The exception being a guy I know who uses a helmet camera. I do know two others with both front and rear cameras and do see them on their bikes but only because I know they have cameras.

When I'm driving I can't imagine being close enough to spot a camera or to be looking at the point where yours is mounted.

Pleased to see you're getting a positive reaction but I do find it surprising.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Would a camera mounted to the bike make a difference. I doubt if they would see it. It would make reporting drivers actions easier.

I was contemplating designing a viz vest or cycle jersey with a camera on the back with "Camera on board" or "you've been framed". If enough people wore them the message may start getting out that cyclists now wear cameras.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
It just may be coincidental with me at the moment. Time will tell no doubt as the miles slowly click by on my travels.
With things being the way they are with the recent "lock down" my findings may be simply down to this.

I would expect this to be the case. Some drivers don’t see a cyclist, let alone a camera mounted to their bike.

D

Deleted member 26715

Interesting and surprising, to me, to read of your experience @johnnyb47 With one exception I can't say I have ever noticed a camera mounted on a bike. The exception being a guy I know who uses a helmet camera. I do know two others with both front and rear cameras and do see them on their bikes but only because I know they have cameras.

When I'm driving I can't imagine being close enough to spot a camera or to be looking at the point where yours is mounted.

Pleased to see you're getting a positive reaction but I do find it surprising.
Similar experience to me, the only time a camera is obvious is when it is Go-Pro sized mounted on the top of their helmet like a unicorn horn, for which I have safety concerns

Dwn

It's great that you are seeing a positive difference, but surprising that drivers realise it's a camera. Might be worth a try.

Driving generally seems to be worse than ever now that we are emerging from lockdown. I've felt that I'm having to deal with many more impatient and dangerous passes than was the case last year.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Similar experience to me, the only time a camera is obvious is when it is Go-Pro sized mounted on the top of their helmet like a unicorn horn, for which I have safety concerns
Me too. I have visions of my guy being found with a camera embedded in his skull.........though I'm sure the plastic mount would snap first.

Top Bottom