Having a camera mounted to the bike really makes a difference in drivers behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark pallister

Hi again,
I think I've briefly mentioned this before here on Cycle Chat, but now that I've done a good few miles on the bike i can safely say, having a Go Pro or similar fitted to the rear of the bike really changes the attitude of motorists when passing by.
I've done around 2000 miles now over the last couple of months, and have been experimenting in using it in different positions on the bike. Fitted to the front is by far the best place to record nice action shots. If you're vain enough by the appearance of your bike, it also looks much neater mounted underneath on an out front Garmin mount.
My bug bear though is the regular close passes we often get, where drivers are either to impatient to wait for a safe place to pass or just lunatics. This really boils my "P" when it happens and find myself foaming at the mouth with temper when it happens.
However I've really noticed when placing the Go Pro on the seat rail mount pointing backwards, close passes become a rarity.. In fact i can't help but notice as to how drivers overreact in giving me a ridiculous amount of room. This also seems to be more apparent by drivers that have been held up for a few moments. I'm putting this down to them actually realising there being watched after seeing the camera. Obviously being stuck behind a cyclist gives a motorist more time to spot the camera.
Initially my intention for a camera was to record nice shots of the country side but i find it far more useful as a deterrent against close passes.
I think if the Go Pro was a bright colour instead of its dark grey colour, it would really catch the eyes of drivers even more so.
If money is tight in these uncertain times, even a fake camera or a cheap broken Go Pro would do the trick in making drivers pass safely.
Obviously not all motorists will notice but every little helps in our safety. Over the last couple of months I've had three close passes to which I've done something about. Each occasion the camera was fitted to the front and got a clear view of the vehicle. They were commercial vehicles and managed to call the company to complain about their bad driving..
I know this is just my own views and opinion, and that it may be just coincidental but from what I've seen over the many miles, it does seem to make a difference having the camera pointing backwards.
The drivers round your way must have good eye site

Drago

Legendary Member
The title is interesting, because what little research has been done on the subject of public behaviour and cameras shows no correlation.

Me too. I have visions of my guy being found with a camera embedded in his skull.........though I'm sure the plastic mount would snap first.

Very true. I've given CPR to a guy who had a small torch mounted atop his lid and which ended up embedded in his brain. That was on a plastic mount that became detached but it didn't stop it ramming his skull. He lived, but had to learn to walk again and still suffers fits, can no longer live unassisted, has had to surrender his drivers licence, etc. I still get Christmas cards from him, although by the time my old workplace have redirected them and I receive them it's usually March.

And then there is the issue of manufacturers spending £££s developing smooth lids that don't grip the ground to reduce the likelihood of rotational brain or torsional spinal injuries - if someone really believes helmets work, then why negate that?

From what I've seen of helmet mounted camera footage it shows that most riders have no idea about safe progress on the road, have no idea about appropriate positioning, rarely look anywhere other than steadfastly ahead...

Last edited:

Mr Whyte

The title is interesting, because what little research has been done on the subject of public behaviour and cameras shows no correlation.

Very true. I've given CPR to a guy who had a small torch mounted atop his lid and which ended up embedded in his brain. That was on a plastic mount that became detached but it didn't stop it ramming his skull. He lived, but had to learn to walk again and still suffers fits, can no longer live unassisted, has had to surrender his drivers licence, etc. I still get Christmas cards from him, although by the time my old workplace have redirected them and I receive them it's usually March.

And then there is the issue of manufacturers spending £££s developing smooth lids that don't grip the ground to reduce the likelihood of rotational brain or torsional spinal injuries - if someone really believes helmets work, then why negate that?

From what I've seen of helmet mounted camera footage it shows that most riders have no idea about safe progress on the road, have no idea about appropriate positioning, rarely look anywhere other than steadfastly ahead...

Glad I just read this as I was going to have my GoPro on my helmet, so it will now go on my handlebars instead.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This thread is a fantasy, surely? Most drivers are too dozy and distracted to spot a camera, they are too preoccupied with their phones, satnavs or getting to the next appointment on time. The OP really does endow drivers with far greater intelligence and observation than they possess.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I don't believe drivers spot cameras on bikes sufficiently early for it to make any difference to their driving. I know what I'm looking for and even I can't see that something on a bar or seatpost is definitively a camera until I'm very close.

Secondly, I would not under any circumstances want to draw attention to the fact my bike has one, which is why I use a Fly 12 & Fly6 - lights with a camera built in. My camera could be my only witness to my injury/demise and there's no way I'd want a driver to easily spot it and be tempted to remove it while I'm incapacitated.

What is happening, thanks to various social media outlets, is that it's becoming more widely known that tens of thousands of cyclists are using them, including various police areas with Operation Close Pass.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My rear camera is a combined light & camera, so I'm not sure anyone realises it is a camera until they get the footage from the Police or their employer. The dangerous daffodil who tailgated me aggressively last year & ended up in Court certainly didn't spot the camera.

Having the other camera on the side of my helmet (Drift) means it is visible from behind, especially as there's a green backlit screen which is visible at night. I can't say that I experience fewer close passes with the camera than without it, though. The reckless few aren't generally paying enough attention to notice a camera. They're just infused with premium strength MGIF-itis or an overwhelming lack of care and attention.

I do find it much easier not to get angry with drivers, knowing that it will usually be possible for the police to get in touch with them later if their driving merits some corrective action. There's little point raging at anyone because you are just likely to make things worse. If I catch a close-passing driver up I will often politely ask for more space to be left, which often seems to work.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
A camera on the front is virtually impossible for a passing motorist to spot. Sitting on the back there's a bigger chance of it being spotted by a passing car. Saying that though, a driver that's travelling at a fair rate of knots from behind will be less likely at spotting a camera as opposed to slower moving traffic.
As said before this may be just coincidental at the moment as to me seeing or feeling that close passes have been reduced whilst using the camera pointing backwards.
I will keep it fitted there though for the foreseeable future and see if this tend I'm experiencing continues.
All the very very best,
Johnny.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
This giving of credit to drivers' powers of observation comes up occasionally, I think last time I commented, the rider claimed that having a bar end mirror on the bottom of his dropped bars made drivers give him room.

It's an admirable trait for a rider to have that much faith in others, but I'm afraid I can't give the average car driver that much credit. They're simply not that observant.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi again,
I think I've briefly mentioned this before here on Cycle Chat, but now that I've done a good few miles on the bike i can safely say, having a Go Pro or similar fitted to the rear of the bike really changes the attitude of motorists when passing by.
I've done around 2000 miles now over the last couple of months, and have been experimenting in using it in different positions on the bike. Fitted to the front is by far the best place to record nice action shots. If you're vain enough by the appearance of your bike, it also looks much neater mounted underneath on an out front Garmin mount.
My bug bear though is the regular close passes we often get, where drivers are either to impatient to wait for a safe place to pass or just lunatics. This really boils my "P" when it happens and find myself foaming at the mouth with temper when it happens.
However I've really noticed when placing the Go Pro on the seat rail mount pointing backwards, close passes become a rarity.. In fact i can't help but notice as to how drivers overreact in giving me a ridiculous amount of room. This also seems to be more apparent by drivers that have been held up for a few moments. I'm putting this down to them actually realising there being watched after seeing the camera. Obviously being stuck behind a cyclist gives a motorist more time to spot the camera.
Initially my intention for a camera was to record nice shots of the country side but i find it far more useful as a deterrent against close passes.
I think if the Go Pro was a bright colour instead of its dark grey colour, it would really catch the eyes of drivers even more so.
If money is tight in these uncertain times, even a fake camera or a cheap broken Go Pro would do the trick in making drivers pass safely.
Obviously not all motorists will notice but every little helps in our safety. Over the last couple of months I've had three close passes to which I've done something about. Each occasion the camera was fitted to the front and got a clear view of the vehicle. They were commercial vehicles and managed to call the company to complain about their bad driving..
I know this is just my own views and opinion, and that it may be just coincidental but from what I've seen over the many miles, it does seem to make a difference having the camera pointing backwards.
The idiot drivers don't see you, let alone see a camera. Most drivers are respectful of cyclist.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Me too. I have visions of my guy being found with a camera embedded in his skull.........though I'm sure the plastic mount would snap first.
Really!!! Maybe you should read about Michael Schumachers accident. Wearing anything on the helmet is not advised

I can see a bike when driving but have more important things to concentrate on then scanning a bike for a camera. If doesn't make me stupid. It makes me a safer driver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom