Having a camera mounted to the bike really makes a difference in drivers behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Really!!! Maybe you should read about Michael Schumachers accident. Wearing anything on the helmet is not advised

I can see a bike when driving but have more important things to concentrate on then scanning a bike for a camera. If doesn't make me stupid. It makes me a safer driver.
I'm sorry I don't understand this remark regarding Schumacher. I've read a couple of googled items and his Wikipedia page.

Nothing I've seen to suggest he had a helmet mounted camera.

Mr Whyte

Really!!! Maybe you should read about Michael Schumachers accident. Wearing anything on the helmet is not advised

I can see a bike when driving but have more important things to concentrate on then scanning a bike for a camera. If doesn't make me stupid. It makes me a safer driver.

LINK

Drago

Legendary Member
I have never noticed cameras on bycicles so I doubt in general that any driver will notice such things. It may well simply be that because you have it fitted, you are relaxing and not fixating on drivers and how they are driving.
Not only that, but incidents have occurred where riders have got into an argument, proudly proclaimed that they have a camera like some kind of invisible force field, only to put on their backsides by the driver to then snatches the camera and drives off.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Interesting thread. I’ve been thinking about putting cameras on the bike I use for commuting but am put off by the cost of decent ones (Cycliq, Go Pro) and the faff of the cheaper ones.

The one thing I have found affects drivers’ behaviour is having decent lights. I have a Exposure Diablo on the front, pointing slightly downward to avoid blinding drivers and usually on blinking-mode rather than continuous light. I find far fewer drivers pull out at junctions/roundabouts in those moments when they have to make a quick decision about whether it is safe to do so - I suspect they see me but are not sure how fast I’m going.

PK99

Legendary Member
This thread is a fantasy, surely? Most drivers are too dozy and distracted to spot a camera, they are too preoccupied with their phones, satnavs or getting to the next appointment on time. The OP really does endow drivers with far greater intelligence and observation than they possess.

Why the partisan stance?

When I'm driving I would not have a clue if a cyclist has a camera - I'm concentrating on his and my speed and positioning, other road users and any hazards. Asking if he has a camera is just about bottom of my list of required observations - no it's not, it's not on my list at all!

Taking a partisan stance myself, I see a far higher proportion of unobservant and incompetent dickhead cyclists than I do drivers.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Maybe the government should rerun their old "see cyclist, think horse" campaign with a small adjustment:

see cyclist.jpg

Top Bottom