Having a go at truing a wheel.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Get Roger Musson's e-book for £9 and take it from there :okay:

Bollocks, get in touch with Teressa Webb, She is the best, She could see a mistake in lacing from 20yrds with 6 of us in the workshop....:tongue:

+1 about Roger Musson's e-book

Can anyone spot the mistakes ;) ?
Racer.jpg

Black-Fixie.jpg

Last edited:

migrantwing

Veteran
Bollocks, get in touch with Teressa Webb, She is the best, She could see a mistake in lacing from 20yrds with 6 of us in the workshop....:tongue:

Very eloquent of you, @Tojo. Well done! :rolleyes:

Tyre logos are not over the valves :ph34r:.
On a more serious note, if I have to true a wheel I always first quickly work my way around every spoke and bring them all to roughly the same tension by feel, more often than not this tends to straighten the wheel and only a bit of fine tuning is needed. I can certainly get a wheel to 1mm or less using the brake blocks as a guide.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Tyre logos are not over the valves :ph34r:.
On a more serious note, if I have to true a wheel I always first quickly work my way around every spoke and bring them all to roughly the same tension by feel, more often than not this tends to straighten the wheel and only a bit of fine tuning is needed. I can certainly get a wheel to 1mm or less using the brake blocks as a guide.

I don't see why you couldn't get a wheel to within 1mm tolerance using the bike frame. The important thing is that the wheel stays within tolerance.

There are plenty of videos on wheel truing on youtube.

You are going to need to be more observant to spot the mistake :smile: it's not just cosmetic.

Get Roger Musson's e-book for £9 and take it from there :okay:

Yep, Teresa gave me a hard time, in the nicest possible way, of course. It paid off but I haven't done much tweaking since. I'll get round to buying Roger Musson's book sooner or later to help me get back into it.

The Webbs offer a three-daywheel-building course: a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Yes when you are just learning......:whistle:

Actually, funny you should say that because it is a mistake you would expect of a learner....wheel builders get into the habit of inspecting other builder's wheel but I wouldn't expect you to spot it unless somebody points out there is a mistake :smile:

Tojo

Über Member
Actually, funny you should say that because it is a mistake you would expect of a learner....wheel builders get into the habit of inspecting other builder's wheel but I wouldn't expect you to spot it unless somebody points out there is a mistake :smile:

Yeh, It was when I done my bike mechs course so it was quite busy and only really had one head scratcher where I knew it was wrong but didn't know why so I had to get Teressa to step in as I couldn't see it, and she had to put her glasses on to see what id done, but she saw it straight away then......:thumbsup:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Yeh, It was when I done my bike mechs course so it was quite busy and only really had one head scratcher where I knew it was wrong but didn't know why so I had to get Teressa to step in as I couldn't see it, and she had to put her glasses on to see what id done, but she saw it straight away then......:thumbsup:

I made a few mistakes when I was starting, you can notice that something is not right when a task is harder to complete than usually is. Some mistakes would not let you complete the wheel so they are easy to spot, others are just cosmetic, like lining up the hub label with the valve hole, it has no bearings on how good the wheel is but something like that would drive me insane :laugh: When I first started building wheels for other people, once I made the mistake of counting 1,2,3 instead of 0,1,2,3 so the hub label ended up a tiny bit out of position with regards to the valve hole. I realised of this mistake half way through the building process and I struggled to convince myself that the wheel would be just as good. Completed the wheel and I went to bed but I couldn't go to sleep thinking about that flicking label being not quite where it should be :cursing: I know that is not normal but I can't help it..... so I got up to rebuild the wheel.... only then I could go to sleep ^_^ The irony of it all is that I got into wheel building precisely to help me switch my mind off from work issues :laugh:..... people that have worked for me would tell you I'm a pain in the backside to work for :blush:

Last edited:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
+1 about Roger Musson's e-book

Can anyone spot the mistakes ;) ?
Racer.jpg

Black-Fixie.jpg
Spoke crossings are located wrongly on the rear wheel, causing the valve to be partially obstructed. It's not the end of the world, the wheel is still usuable, it is just a silly beginner mistake.

I use the Sheldon Brown method to make sure I get the crossings in the correct location with respect to the valve, @migrantwing will probably find this a useful resource.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#key

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I've disassembled my practice wheel...let the games begin! :hyper:

That's how I started.... with an old wheel :smile: You'll find it's easier with a new wheel though.

One step at a time and keep everything under control. You can always go back to square one if you made a mistake. If you are getting frustrated then walk away and come back later.

Good luck

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Spoke crossings are located wrongly on the rear wheel, causing the valve to be partially obstructed. It's not the end of the world, the wheel is still usuable, it is just a silly beginner mistake.

I use the Sheldon Brown method to make sure I get the crossings in the correct location with respect to the valve, @migrantwing will probably find this a useful resource.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#key

Bingo!!!

Of course the wheel is still usable but incorrectly laced. Not the correct place for the valve, there's no excuse. It's a silly beginner's mistake but the builder is a pro and with a big reputation. Some people talk a really good wheel build, they just don't build them that good :laugh:.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have learned about replacing a spoke in my bike mechanic lesson today, then about truing a wheel.
Was doing not bad, when he told us about dishing.
After several muddled attempts I was about to use the blessed wheel as a frisby right out of the shop window.
Needs the patience of a saint this wheel truing business :surrender:

Top Bottom