Having a go at truing a wheel.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
I use the Sheldon Brown method to make sure I get the crossings in the correct location with respect to the valve, @migrantwing will probably find this a useful resource.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#key

Thanks for the advice and link, @YellowTim

That's how I started.... with an old wheel :smile: You'll find it's easier with a new wheel though.

One step at a time and keep everything under control. You can always go back to square one if you made a mistake. If you are getting frustrated then walk away and come back later.

Good luck

Thanks, @Spoked Wheels.

My best wheels are relatively new but have bladed spokes and less of them. My practice wheel and hub are 36h, so I'm hoping the more the merrier as I've been told that the more spokes there are, the easier a wheel is to true regards fine adjustments over a smaller area, as opposed to less adjustment over more of an area with less spokes. I guess you know what I mean :smile:

Good luck and Take note of your mistakes and when there logged in your head it then becomes easy....well, easier.....:scratch:

Will do. Cheers, @Tojo! Haha!

You do realise I'm holding ALL of the above responsible when this goes wrong :tongue:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Thanks, @Spoked Wheels.

My best wheels are relatively new but have bladed spokes and less of them. My practice wheel and hub are 36h, so I'm hoping the more the merrier as I've been told that the more spokes there are, the easier a wheel is to true regards fine adjustments over a smaller area, as opposed to less adjustment over more of an area with less spokes. I guess you know what I mean :smile:

Yes,that is true but there is no much in it. How do I explain this? If 1/8 of a turn is sufficient for a 28 spokes wheel, that might over cook a 16 spokes wheel. I wouldn't say it is harder to true a wheel with less spokes but you need to work on very small turns when you are down to the later stages. This is why an inexperience person can make a mess of truing a low spoke count wheel.

But remember this, unlike plastering or heart surgery, you can always go back and start again if you aren't happy with your work. Never cut corners, people get used to cutting corners very quickly. When you practice with the same wheel you will know exactly how to get fro A to B and you would be tempted to take a short cut. Learn the process, that's all you are trying to do.

migrantwing

Veteran
Yes,that is true but there is no much in it. How do I explain this? If 1/8 of a turn is sufficient for a 28 spokes wheel, that might over cook a 16 spokes wheel. I wouldn't say it is harder to true a wheel with less spokes but you need to work on very small turns when you are down to the later stages. This is why an inexperience person can make a mess of truing a low spoke count wheel.

But remember this, unlike plastering or heart surgery, you can always go back and start again if you aren't happy with your work. Never cut corners, people get used to cutting corners very quickly. When you practice with the same wheel you will know exactly how to get fro A to B and you would be tempted to take a short cut. Learn the process, that's all you are trying to do.

That makes sense, @Spoked Wheels

I'm excited and ready for the challenge, yet somewhat hesitant at the same time. Haha!

migrantwing

Veteran
Wooooooaaaaahhhhh!

With little or no tension in the spokes, this rim is moving up and down, in and out like the Irish Sea!!

Last edited:

migrantwing

Veteran
Not as yet, matey. Thinking of having a go either tomorrow or at the Weekend. I've been busy with nothing in particular, you know how it is :smile:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Wooooooaaaaahhhhh!

With little or no tension in the spokes, this rim is moving up and down, in and out like the Irish Sea!!

It has long, slow wobbles, rather than short, sudden wobbles. That means you'll need to loosen/tighten quite a few spokes at a time.

Try to work out where the centre of each wobble is, and consider half a turn on the spokes in the centre of the wobble, and quarter of a turn on those further away from the centre of the wobble. Alternate between working on left and right wobbles.

migrantwing

Veteran
It has long, slow wobbles, rather than short, sudden wobbles. That means you'll need to loosen/tighten quite a few spokes at a time.

Try to work out where the centre of each wobble is, and consider half a turn on the spokes in the centre of the wobble, and quarter of a turn on those further away from the centre of the wobble. Alternate between working on left and right wobbles.

This is with all tension off of the spokes. I disassembled the wheel, re-threaded the hub with spokes and then attached them to the wheel. If I remember correctly, I now have to tighten ALL the spokes a few turns and the same amount, then go from there.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
This is with all tension off of the spokes. I disassembled the wheel, re-threaded the hub with spokes and then attached them to the wheel. If I remember correctly, I now have to tighten ALL the spokes a few turns and the same amount, then go from there.
Yes, there's no point trying to true the wheel with no tension in the spokes.

Pluck the spokes on a good wheel and listen to the tension, but bear in mind drive side and non drive side will be different tension and different sound.

migrantwing

Veteran
All nipples are tightened/loosened so about 2-3 threads are showing on each spoke. (I read that this a good starting point as, in theory, by doing this, all nipples should take roughly the same number of turns of the spoke key to get somewhere in the ballpark of even tension on all spokes.)

Let the fun begin :smile:

Last edited:

migrantwing

Veteran
So, I've got all the spokes to be around the same tension (by musical pitch and feel) and the wheel is still running out of true a little.

Is it imperative to loosen the spokes on the opposite side of the rim to the ones I have tightened or can I just bring up the tension a little on the spokes/side that needs it without touching the other spokes?

Top Bottom