He touched my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Trundling through heavy traffic into York in my car this morning a roadie made his way up the nearside and rested his right hand on my bootlid.

I'm guessing this was to save him from unclipping his cleats as he knew we would be off again in a few seconds, which we were.

Do lots of road cyclists do this?

First time it's happened to me, although I don't drive a lot in traffic.

And is resting your hand on another vehicle acceptable or sensible behaviour?

I've seen it in a funny youtube clip, somebody will probably dig out and youtube clips of couriers but I've never actually seen someone do it.

sidevalve

Über Member
Bit of a poor idea IMHO as it does put you a bit close to another vehicle. Besides if you need something to hang on to just because you can't be bothered putting your foot down either your in a bigger rush than the car drivers or you need to practice unclipping faster. What if there were no cars, would he just fall over ?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've only done it while taking evasive action.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Probably not - but that may be more of a comment on motorists' perception of "their territory". It would be nice if they all showed the same exaggerated sensitivity to other road users' space.

Excuse me but it is their territory! This is a shiny peice of mechanical marvel costing new in the region of £20k and IMO it is rude and selfish to use it as a leaning post. Show some respect and get some in return. I will sometimes rest on railing when at a junction but would not consider resting on someones car, it just isn't the done thing.

gilespargiter

Veteran
Well if they are going to go around taking up the whole road and getting in the way all the time; might as well make themselves useful. I do it whenever convenient.
Definitely not a good idea to ever stop in any vehicles blind spot.

Keith Oates

Janner
In the UK ,and maybe other countries, people are very protective of their cars etc. and I must admit I was one them when in the UK. However out here people will sit on your parked motorbike outside of a restaurant etc. when talking to their friends. The first time it happened to me I was a little indignant and asked him to get off the bike. All the locals laughed and thought I was crazy, now when it happens I don't say anything although the feeling is still there to some extent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom