He touched my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If you did that to my car you'd soon have your hand on the road, because I'd get out of my car and put you on your arse. Have respect for other people and that includes their property.
I don't think that you are allowed to assault someone because they've decided to steady themselves on your precious car!:thumbsdown: Are you one of these motorists who cycles occasionally and expects to be treated courteously yet forgets they're a part-time cyclist when they're behind a wheel?:ninja:

Typhon

I wouldn't do it on my bike. If a cyclist did it to my car I would give them accusing half-glances in a very English way.

I would still make sure they had taken their hand off the car before taking my foot off the brake though (it's an automatic so would move forward instantly). At the end of the day it's just a bit rude of them, nothing to get too worked up about and certainly nothing worth hurting them over..

screenman

Legendary Member
Green1 they use water borne paints but only for the base coat, there is then a few layers of hard twin pack laquers applied over this. However I do agree that the laquer is quite easy to scratch, one of many things I teach is paintwork rectification, which is the skill of polishing these types of marks out of vehicles.

Would I put my hand on somebodies car, no way just asking for trouble and also shows a complete lack of respect. Would I put myself in the blind spot of a large vehicle, not if I can help it that is for sure.

green1

Über Member
Are you one of these motorists who cycles occasionally and expects to be treated courteously yet forgets they're a part-time cyclist when they're behind a wheel?:ninja:
No, I'm the sort of road user who respects others on the road. I have one more than one occasion had drivers beeping at me for not overtaking cyclists when I have been behind one because I felt there wasn't enough room without it being a close pass.

al78

Guru
[QUOTE 2122932, member: 9609"]
TBH, I probably would feel a bit insulted if a cyclist steadied himself by touching the side of my car - but I don't really know why, I couldn't care less if he was to steady himself momentarily holding onto my garden fence. Car ownership seems to have a very strange effect on people.
[/quote]

It is probably because cars tend to be expensive and are vulnerable to significant depreciation for even minor amounts of cosmetic damage.

Thus if you scratch someone's car as a result of leaning on it then they either have to spend money putting it right or they have to expect a lower price when part-exchanging or selling it in the future. Either way they are out of pocket so the net effect is equivalent to stealing a few hundred pounds from them. How would you feel if someone stole a few hundred pounds from you?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It is probably because cars tend to be expensive and are vulnerable to significant depreciation for even minor amounts of cosmetic damage.

Thus if you scratch someone's car as a result of leaning on it then they either have to spend money putting it right or they have to expect a lower price when part-exchanging or selling it in the future. Either way they are out of pocket so the net effect is equivalent to stealing a few hundred pounds from them. How would you feel if someone stole a few hundred pounds from you?

I don't that by resting a gloved cycling hand on a car will cause hundreds of pounds of damage al, but if a scratch does happen then http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...a=X&ei=jT-NUPPvD-nG0QXizoDIAQ&ved=0CHgQ8wIwAA will clear it up!:thumbsup:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I wouldn't like some pedestrian touching my bike while I'm stopped at lights.
same here

Generally, I think it is poor form to lean on a car while at rest in traffic. It happens and is nothing to have a cow about, but it is poor form.

One may wince when hearing of motorists who are slightly precious about their cars, but this is little different (if at all) from the attitude of some cyclists who appear to think that their steed is somehow special because it cost a lot. At a guess, I think I know more cyclists who'd be uppity about someone touching or leaning on their bicycle than I do motorists who think that way about their car. Most cars are left in the street all night. Most bicycles are not. Many top-end bicycles are treated and spoken of almost as religious icons.... Tape and frame must match... Bidon must match saddle... But I digess... as usual.

I giggle when I read the "If you did that to my car you'd be on the floor" comments on these threads. They tend to be from male posters (I nearly wrote male members) and if they were even remotely close to reality, there would be a lot of cyclists being banged on the noggin and sent floorwards with venom. There are not. There is a huge difference between sounding tough on the Internet and an act of road rage... Thank Goodness.

I confess to using the rear pole of Routemasters when a teen and pre-teen, but even then the conductor would always try to shoo away cyclists and sateboarders. I knew it was naughty and that was part of the fun.

I've never used a car, but did sprawl onto the bonnet of a taxi on Poland Street once in a clipless moment. I apologised and the driver just giggled and waved the apology away.

Done deliberately it is poor form, but more a case of thoughtless ignorance of the presence and concerns of others than a hanging offence.

We should all be lovely and smile more.

Thank you.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Oh don't be silly. Apart from the fact that touching cars does not cause any damage whatever, do you not think it's somewhat absurd for cars, which are heavy objects whizzing about at high speeds in all weathers in close proximity to hundreds of similar objects, to be so apparently fragile? If they're so ill-suited to practical use, perhaps their owners should think twice about taking them out anywhere other than a private track.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Generally, I think it is poor form to lean on a car while at rest in traffic.

I disagree. And though it isn't something I ever seem to find it necessary or convenient to do, these threads incline me to have a go at it, just to communicate to drivers that bringing a car with you does not mean that you own the space it takes up, any more than putting cones outside your house confers ownership of the street.

green1

Über Member
[QUOTE 2123130, member: 9609"] FFS it's a mass produced lump of metal, why do people spend so much of their money, then so much time washing. polishing and worrying about it - very very strange.[/quote]
Could say exactly the same thing about a bikes.

I disagree. And though it isn't something I ever seem to find it necessary or convenient to do, these threads incline me to have a go at it, just to communicate to drivers that bringing a car with you does not mean that you own the space it takes up, any more than putting cones outside your house confers ownership of the street.

I realise that many will disagree. It's not a major issue to me and I imagine it isn't one to you either.

I'm not sure I know any drivers who would be silly enough to think they own the space taken up by their vehicle. I may, but it's not something I've ever asked. Much as I've never asked drivers whether they think pixies put the pips in raspberries.... Both are slightly silly and fanciful notions.

I'd agree that some road users give the impression that they might think they own the space they and their car, bicycle or lorry occupy. But I doubt whether any of them really thinks they do.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I realise that many will disagree. It's not a major issue to me and I imagine it isn't one to you either.

I'm not sure I know any drivers who would be silly enough to think they own the space taken up by their vehicle. I may, but it's not something I've ever asked. Much as I've never asked drivers whether they think pixies put the pips in raspberries.... Both are slightly silly and fanciful notions.

I'd agree that some road users give the impression that they might think they own the space they and their car, bicycle or lorry occupy. But I doubt whether any of them really thinks they do.

Some of the responses in this thread indicate otherwise...

Top Bottom