Head mounted mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
For those on here, that wear a helmet. Would you use one and if you you do is there any real advantage to a shoulder check?

For those who don't wear helmets but do wear glasses, the same question.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Not a helmet mounted one. If I wanted to use a mirror it would be mounted on the bars.

There is also this option:
https://rearviz.com/index.php

A wrist wearable one.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have bar end mirrors on all my bikes (zefal on straight/ish & sprintech on drops) and a bad neck. I've tested and used the right ones for me for long enough and trust them sufficiently not to need to do the limited range shoulder check I can do to see what is there, I still do it tho as a visual cue to the driver behind.

I've tried a helmet mirror very briefly and wasn't impressed, for the difficulty in setting it solidly, accurately and consistently as well as it would force me to wear a helmet all the time and I don't wish to, I also wonder if a helmet mounted light would blitz the view.

As to a limb worn one, I made a prototype idea one, last time I spotted such a thing raised on here, there was nothing to commend it over a bar mount mirror. More of a gimmick than indicators IMO. And requires eyes off the road and arm off the bars both at the same time.

At least bar/frame mounted you are looking back with fixed points in the frame to act as reliable references and distance gauge. Stuff on a waggly head or flappy limb doesn't have that same consistency to be used properly as a rear view option.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Nope. I prefer to shoulder check. It improves visual communication with other road users.

But I know some people have ailments and may not be as flexible in the neck

Katherine

Guru
I wear a helmet and don't want to add anything to it which I might land on. I do shoulder checks, which, as @Moodyman says, communicates my intentions to other road users. I have good flexibility, Pilates for me is the best thing since sliced bread. However, if I couldn't do shoulder checks, I would mount a mirror on my handlebars.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Shoulder checks for me too. As someone has already said, it gives any vehicle behind you a good indication that you know they are there.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Only if the driver sees you checking!
True, but it gives you half a chance.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I used one on my recumbent because it was not possible to turn my head enough to get a good view behind. The bike has under-seat steering so had no good place to mount a mirror either; this meant I had to wear a helmet-mounted mirror which, although it was fiddly to set up and get used to initially, was a very useful device. Within a couple of days it became second nature to use and I liked being able to scan all the lanes behind me with a small movement of my head.

blackburn-helmet-mirror.jpg

For anyone worried about injuries from it in a collision, I'd say that it would be unlikely in the extreme. The whole thing is made of plastic and would come apart in a crash.

GC

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've tried a bike-eye in the past. Rack/panniers can limit what you see and I took it off after realising I was looking in it then doing a shoulder check anyway.
Cos of the neck, I've gone through a lot of mirrors over the years to be sure I'm using the best ones for me & will take the hit of the £5-15 they usually are if they're no good, but this is the one type I've never wanted to spend on to try. I can't get my head around how mounted to the middle of the frame you'd get a clear unimpeded view behind, with the rest of the bike frame, your own torso & legs & luggage all in the same viewing plane as the mirror.

Apologies @classic33 for the slight thread hijack but I'd love to see pics / hear from people that do use and like these type as to how they do work in the real world and with a rack bag, saddle wedge (ono) or panniers attached. Do you have to synchronise a kick out of your leg with a glance down too to get the necessary view behind?

Also as a regular folder rider, on that frame, it'd be 9 inches off the ground and 5 feet from my eyes :sad:

Cos of the neck, I've gone through a lot of mirrors over the years to be sure I'm using the best ones for me & will take the hit of the £5-15 they usually are if they're no good, but this is the one type I've never wanted to spend on to try. I can't get my head around how mounted to the middle of the frame you'd get a clear unimpeded view behind, with the rest of the bike frame, your own torso & legs & luggage all in the same viewing plane as the mirror.

Apologies @classic33 for the slight thread hijack but I'd love to see pics / hear from people that do use and like these type as to how they do work in the real world and with a rack bag, saddle wedge (ono) or panniers attached. Do you have to synchronise a kick out of your leg with a glance down too to get the necessary view behind?

Also as a regular folder rider, on that frame, it'd be 9 inches off the ground and 5 feet from my eyes :sad:
My wife has almost no ability to turn her head, so I've never been able to get her cycling on anything other than a sustrans type path. Shame really as she wants to and would - happily did so on segregated paths when holidaying in Holland. Tried mirrors but it just isn't going to happen on the roads as they terrify her.

I'll have to have a poke about and see if I've still got the bike-eye and I'll happily post you it so you can have a try yourself if you want. As I said, it didn't work for me.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My wife has almost no ability to turn her head, so I've never been able to get her cycling on anything other than a sustrans type path. Shame really as she wants to and would - happily did so on segregated paths when holidaying in Holland. Tried mirrors but it just isn't going to happen on the roads as they terrify her.

I'll have to have a poke about and see if I've still got the bike-eye and I'll happily post you it so you can have a try yourself if you want. As I said, it didn't work for me.
Brilliant, thank you, I'll DM you my address and pay postage.

Top Bottom