Head/rear lights cleaning stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Maybe wait for someone else to come along and agree with me here, but I wonder if a bit of toothpaste on a rag might clean them up? It works on CDs/DVDs, and worked well for cleaning plenty of scratches from my cheap n cheerful safety specs. I think the principal behind it is that toothpaste is ever so slightly abrasive, so it effectively 'polishes' out the imperfections that have developed.

Edited to add:
Whilst trying to find something to support my theory, the first google hit that came up specifically mentions car headlights!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
T-Cut, autoglym or G3 cutting compound. If bad you'll have some work to do. I just give my 19 year old plastic lenses a quick t-cut or autoglym every few months. G3 was used when bad.

Jody

Stubborn git
I wax my car,mincluding the headlamps, every 3rd or 4th wash, which works out roughly once every 2 months. That is ample to maintain the surface of the headlamps.

Yes, a good wax will do it.

Id usually wash my car every week or two but WFH has changed that. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't washed it in over a year 😲

netman

Veteran
Before:

IMG_7127.JPG

After:

IMG_20200524_154030.jpg

Using the method in this vid

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG54xt56uZo

Basically, 600 grit wet and dry wet sanded, followed by 1500 and then 3000, then cutting compound, then polish and finally a good coat of sealant and wax to protect.

netman

Veteran
They look great Netman. How long did it take?

Maybe an hour and a half altogether for both - nice sunny day, took my time and stopped for coffee half way through! I did the sanding by hand, but have a polisher which speeded up the compound and polishing...

Last edited:
Top Bottom