Head Torches: Yes or No?

Should cyclists use head torches on roads and canal paths

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I use a tesco 3W torch with a headstrap made of a loop of inner tube. Only started using it recently, I find it very useful for alerting drivers who look like they're about to pull out on me. It chews up batteries, though: ~ 3 hours run time on a pair of duracells

I tend to turn it off when waiting at junctions just to avoid dazzling random people as I look around

HovR

Über Member
On the road, I think a head torch is possibly one of the better lighting solutions available to get you noticed. In my experience, I notice head torch wearing cyclists long before I notice bar lights - Probably because of the "What the heck is that high up bright light?!" reaction. Although on a shared use path where there are (hopefully) no motorists about to run you over, it is probably a bit overkill. A strong bar mounted light aimed down will suffice.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
One of the drawbacks of using a helmet mounted lamp as the primary or only light source - particularly off-road - is that it doesn't provide any depth. Having the light source so close to your eyes renders the world in two dimensions. Just like riding with one eye closed makes it difficult to judge depth. The main benefit of a head torch cannot be denied - the ability to aim it precisely where you want to see, but it's worth using a bar mounted light too.

The other is that you have to wear a helmet....

I use a Petzl Tikka without the need of a helmet, just a cotton cap.

On my canal ride tonight I passed people with no lights, to people with dazzling lights and everything inbetween. I've voted yes but the question should be 'Should cyclist use head torches the right way or not at all?'

"Head torches blind people and they don't illuminate the way!".
A badly adjusted one might but a good one certainly does illuminate and you can aim that illumination the way you want. I usually use my EL410 on the bars but occasionally when going through completely unlit areas I've had it helmet mounted and its good for seeing the verge etc so you can avoid it.

Davidc

Guru
Head torches are great for highlighting where you're looking. Good for being able to see cycle computers, maps, and mending punctures.

They are cr@p for being seen by - they aren't pointing the right way for long enough and are above a drivers normal sight line.

Wide angle ones (poundland, Tesco, etc.) are antisocial on towpaths, shared paths without lighting, etc. Good for some tasks at home and work though.

Focussed ones are useful for aiming at idiots (drivers, pedestrians, ninja cyclists and more) and are better for seeing where you're looking than the cheap ones.

Good bike fixed lights plus a head torch - best option for most purposes, I carry one but don't usually use it!

naffa

I use 2 handlebar lights one fixed one flashing.
I also use a decent headtorch particularly for the section of ride that takes me through 1.7 miles of unlit canal tunnel.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I have a front and rear mounted head torches on my HELMET.

Yes, I wear a HELMET! :secret:

The rear light has a red filter fitted to it ;)

Norm

I have a front and rear mounted head torches on my HELMET.
How is it mounted? Every helmet mount that I've seen, IMO, increases the risk of injury (snag points) and would increase the severity of any injury by providing a route for force to completely bypass any perceived benefit which you might get from wearing the helmet.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
How is it mounted? Every helmet mount that I've seen, IMO, increases the risk of injury (snag points) and would increase the severity of any injury by providing a route for force to completely bypass any perceived benefit which you might get from wearing the helmet.

They're LED camping head torches (usually have head straps fitted,) which are cable tied to the helmet. They fold relatively flat if pushed...

Norm

Each to their own, I guess, but it sounds, at the very least, that you now have a new snag point which is firmly attached to your throat.

C

chillyuk

I am indifferent to them on bike riders, but hate them on the beach when night fishing and some idiot decides to look around the beach whilst wearing a very bright headtorch. Get an eyeful of bright light on a pitch black beach and it's 5 minutes before I can see a thing. I guess it's the same on a bike but can't say I have experienced it yet. The Poundland ones are OK for illuminating what you are actually doing but wouldn't dazzle you if you were 6 inches away from it. I use them for fishing and camping.

Top Bottom