Head Torches: Yes or No?

Should cyclists use head torches on roads and canal paths

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

e) beaming the errant driver may work on some occasions (rare, if you have proper bike lights and proper road positioning), but it does encourage an unsafe mindset. "I'll beam the bugger and carry on. Oh sod! he's not seen me - too late to take evasive action now".
The other points have been covered by Mr P, but I'm not willing to give this one either.

Even if it does promote an unsafe mindset (which I don't believe), that would be an unsafe mindset in an overall more protected environment.

In other words, is it worse to ride thinking a driver should be able to see you because you believe that you have flashed him, or have him not see you in the first place?

sddpc

Not quite the case with LED light sources.

If it's a single emitter with a parabolic reflector assembly it does indeed work better with a "dimpled" finish or as it's more commonly known a multifaceted reflector.

The parabolic reflector it's self controls the spread of the light, the orange peel or dimpled finish simply makes the wash of light within the cone of light more even to look at with less hot spots or rings to it.

I think it depends on the led in question. My 5 watt head torch actually has 5-6 "lines" of light emitted from the tiny cree chip, these are directed by a smooth
relector through a "magnifying glass" ... i suppose its classed as "multiple emitters".
The beam pattern is actually "square" and its so well focussed you can actually see the "hot spots", although they are barely noticeable.

bristol-dave

Regular
I wear a 12 led head torch, flash mode... i use it to be seen, not to see.... And at the end of the day, with these dark mornings and nites, being seen is more important to me than anything else when commuting to and from work. Way to many people out there without any lighting
whatsoever, and dark clothing.....what on earth are they thinking ? ?
It also really brings it home to you when you here of a cyclist being killed, as we did here in bristol, Nov 17th 7pm... hit and run ...... R.I.P

blockend

[QUOTE 1627766, member: 45"]As I understand it you must have approved lights fixed to your bike, but you can do whatever you like with additional lights on bags, body, head etc.[/quote]
Except for that most effective traffic slower, a flashing blue. I suspect rear facing white lights might get you pulled over too. On the subject of head torches they are certainly handy, I had a car full of laddies try to reverse out of an off-license pull in straight into my track last week. The line of thought went beer, beer, beer, oh, a cyclist, sod him. A quick squirt of Li-Ion powered LED into the drivers face persuaded him of his error and he was still rubbing his eyes and cussing as I passed.

On Tuesday my Magicshine ran out of juice and I encountered Dolly Daydream in her Corsa on a backroad with only a Frog for emergency backup. I was honking uphill, she changing up through the gears and we met at a chicane created by two houses with those old fashioned bollards designed to stop cartwheels from taking the stonework out. In a car I take it at 10mph and hold my breath, she thought 40 was more appropriate. There was only a vestigial pavement perhaps a foot wide and I unclipped and dismounted as she came towards me with all wheels locked up. When she finally stopped she wound the window down and said, 'sorry about that'. 'Me too dearie' I replied. It wouldn't have happened with the Magicshine fending off her advances.

Top Bottom