Head Torches: Yes or No?

Should cyclists use head torches on roads and canal paths

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

When I do use the headtorch on a helmet (mountain biking)It's mounted with not with cable ties or velcro straps but with elastic shock cord, it stays put but it will break way or move in an off. I am not keen on metal bodied torches being strapped to lids with cable ties or straps as it's going to make mince meat of a helmet and your head if you have a head on with a tree. Some of the fenix torches even have castle-ted striking bezels for putting out windows or using the torch to thump people with.

Zoiders

Road bike, canal path :ohmy: ^_^
Fixed as well.

I have had it down Clent hill before now on the tunnel ride so the towpaths not a problem as it's quite well engineered underfoot in the city.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I use a 1W headtorch but I use it selectively, I turn it off when I see an approaching cyclist on the cyclepath, and make sure no one is dazzled with any other lights, although any LED lamp seems to be able to dazzle, even if it's ineffective as a light to see with.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have just started wearing a head torch for my evening commute, I only switch it on for two junctions on my way home where I have had problems in the past with people pulling out in front of me. I can flicker it across drivers faces and it is very bright. In the first two weeks of use no one has pulled out and it gives me more confidence that I have been seen. I do have a front light on the bike too, and also wear hi-viz stuff with lots of reflective strips.
headlight.jpg

OK but when you get neck problems, don't come crying this way. FFS that's huge and shouts "k***"

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Should you use a head torch? Yes, yes and thrice yes. I use a 900 lumens uber bright jobbie that's fastened on to my helmet with velcro. I find it invaluable on dark B-roads as I can aim exactly where I need to see up ahead,or give a quick downwards glance to light up the road just to my right as cars approach from behind.

I've also stopped a few motorists pulling out from side roads with a quick look straight at them.......they stop! As an addition to the traditional bike mounted lights the head torch is imho an essential bit of safety kit. Just don't take the p155 by dazzling folk.

I use a tesco 3W torch with a headstrap made of a loop of inner tube. Only started using it recently, I find it very useful for alerting drivers who look like they're about to pull out on me. It chews up batteries, though: ~ 3 hours run time on a pair of duracells

I tend to turn it off when waiting at junctions just to avoid dazzling random people as I look around

Li-ion powered torches are now quite cheap, and I use rechargeable batts in all my lighting whether Li-ion, aaa, or aa. I charge the head torch daily, front lamps twice a week, rears once a week and proviz vest once a fortnight.

It's less complicated than it sounds.....no really!

I use a tikka plus which simply straps round the helmet and I can remove the top of the visor and tuck the strap in behind. Once the visor is clicked back in it's solid. Never been a problem and it definitely helps to be seen on the road. I can direct it wherever I want to when on dark roads etc. No contest they are a benefit.
If anybody comes toward me when on a dark section I can just tilt it down. I do have a light on the bars as well though so not the only source of light.

Nebulous

Guru
I've just bought a 1 watt led one from tk Maxx for £4.99. They had a heap of biking stuff, lights, cables etc. They had at least 3 different head torches. It's fairly bright, 3 settings low/high/flash. The only snag is it comes with an elastic strap designed to go round your head and it is reluctant to stay on my helmet. I don't want it permanently attached as I only have one helmet.

For towpaths and suchlike a head torch is a good bet - not so good on the road - drivers have a habit of putting on the main beam to work out what you are - you dont need a very good set of ordinary lights to find the edge of a road at the sort of speed i go at

I use a cateye headtorch with a powerful main beam and a dimmer 2ndry - the secondary for map reading - the primary very rarely - generally only for checking signposts or when I am decending something very tricky

Norm

Just got in from a chilly ride and I'd say that the idea of "head torch" needs a bit of refinement.

I use an Exposure Joystick which, on full, lights up about 10-15 seconds worth of road in front of me, which is more than adequate. However, the reason I love this particular model is that the beam is fairly tight so, even at that distance, it is pretty focused on the road with little spill on the hedges. That means it provides light where I'm looking rather than a flood.

My bike-mounted lights have a broader beam, one of them is visible from more than 180 degrees, but that, IMO, is not what the head torch is meant to do because an uncontrolled flood light at that height will annoy other road users and waste a whole load of energy.

Jezston

Über Member
If this was the canal at longport that cyclist was me.

Cheap multi LED head torches with a gazillion LED's just blaze away like a flare, they don't focus the light in any usefull way. I stopped when I reached the bridge at westport lake and watched you emerge from round the corner, the light shows up just fine but it casts no actual pool of light for you to ride by, I also know thats it's uncontained dazzle is in fact blinding you more than it's helping you to see.

Spend a bit more and get one with a proper reflector assembly or lens around a single LED so you can really use the light directionally and point it away from people eyes on the tow-path just like I do, as it is you may as well be trying to ride with a marine flare as a light.

On unlit towpaths unfocused headtorches are what is known as "not-cool".

No response from the OP since this post ...

Shamed?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Unles you are going to go around in the dark confronting drivers like the Traffic Droid, then you shouldnt need head torches. Bright enough lights on your handlebars should be enough.

HovR

Über Member
Unles you are going to go around in the dark confronting drivers like the Traffic Droid, then you shouldnt need head torches. Bright enough lights on your handlebars should be enough.

I disagree. A high up light in a city environment seems to grab my attention much more effectively than bar lights alone.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a head torch with flashing mode means if you look at the driver (well, the driver's side window, in the dark) it has the effect of putting off people turning out of junctions into your path. probably the knowledge that noone would believe a smidsy…

Top Bottom