Headset bearing cup replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

good find.
thanks for the recommendation.
Were you worried when buying it?
I would only usually buy the very simplest cheapest tools from china.
I'm not worried at all. I've bought loads of bits and bobs off AilExpress and all but one or two have been perfectly fine. Like anything you have to pick and chose what you get, and where you buy them from - checking out the seller is vitally important. The most expensive thing was my TSDZ2 ebike motor, but even though the money went to Chine, the goods where shipped from Germany.

On the few occasions where things haven't gone too well - one none delivery and fake product - I've had a full refund without any quibbles or having to send the bits back. A lot of sellers now have UK based return addresses in needed.

There's no UK customs/VAT on anything less £16 (inc delivery), but you can usually get away with £20ish as they invariably undervalue on the declaration

Delivery times can be a bit hit and miss though, but that's half the fun :smile:

I'm not worried at all. I've bought loads of bits and bobs off AilExpress and all but one or two have been perfectly fine. Like anything you have to pick and chose what you get, and where you buy them from - checking out the seller is vitally important. The most expensive thing was my TSDZ2 ebike motor, but even though the money went to Chine, the goods where shipped from Germany.

On the few occasions where things haven't gone too well - one none delivery and fake product - I've had a full refund without any quibbles or having to send the bits back. A lot of sellers now have UK based return addresses in needed.

There's no UK customs/VAT on anything less £16 (inc delivery), but you can usually get away with £20ish as they invariably undervalue on the declaration

Delivery times can be a bit hit and miss though, but that's half the fun :smile:
I thought £15 was the cut-off?
Has it changed?
Have never used aliexpress - is it better than ebay?

I did get a total refund on a bottle cage once which wasn't quite what it seemed/was very shoddily made.

I made my cup extractor. Simple piece of tubing narrow enough to fit between the cups. Cut down along the length for about 6in. Two cuts at 90 degrees to each other. Spring the 4 'legs' apart. You can pull the tool through the cup and the legs spring out. The tool allows you to tap on the cup in four place and they pop out easily.

D

Deleted member 23692

I thought £15 was the cut-off?
Has it changed?
Have never used aliexpress - is it better than ebay?

I did get a total refund on a bottle cage once which wasn't quite what it seemed/was very shoddily made.
Sorry, yeah it's £15.

It's no better or worse than eBay. It's just different, and depends on what you're after and how quick you want it. Choice is vast on AliExpress... it's a mecca for oddness and modern day curios.

Stick to the official shops and not resellers where you can

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bit of a thread hijack as i was going to post a similar thread
my boardman rebuild headset is missing a spacer/seal that i cant buy so unless i overtorque the steering the headset upper cups moves .
The original is an fsa orbit c40 ACB which is around £40+ if your lucky , does anyone know of a compatible one?
i have seen a brand x version but they seem to be all out of stock
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-sealed-integrated-tapered-headset/rp-prod130924

Sorry, yeah it's £15.

It's no better or worse than eBay. It's just different, and depends on what you're after and how quick you want it. Choice is vast on AliExpress... it's a mecca for oddness and modern day curios.

Stick to the official shops and not resellers where you can
actually, at a risk of a thread divert, I have just been lead to believe that the under £15 exemption is being scrapped from January 1.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021
which will be the end of such purchases I assume - not worth the hassle.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Bit of a bonanza for Parcelfarce, especially if all EU stuff needs inspecting and charging for as well.

weareHKR

do they make something like the fork crown race setting tool I used for my fork swap?
I use a length of PVC Waste pipe, just measure the O/D of the crown race & then pop into your local hardware store & find a length of pipe the correct diameter & Bob's your uncle!

Top Bottom