Headset bearing on Planet X RT-58

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by JaAnTr, 29 Oct 2016.

1. JaAnTr

JaAnTr Active Member

Hi,

Today I took my forks off as the steering was becoming incredibly stiff. I had an absolute nightmare getting the headset bearing off, it took being hit probably over 100 times before it finally came off. Once I cleaned and regreased everything I assumed it would go back on easily but it's just won't budge. I can only assume that it's somehow shrunk because it is incredibly tight and I don't have anyway to hit it back on.

So I'm looking to buy a new one but have no idea what to buy or what size. Is it just something like this - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-headset-bearing/

And how will I know if it fits?

Thanks!

2. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

Degrease it and the sizes should be etched on the bearings.

3. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

I also won't budge if you hit me 100 times.

What part of the headset was struck? Where was it struck and what part has now deformed?

4. sackville d

sackville d Über Member

5. huggy

huggy Senior Member

I worked through this problem last night for my Roubaix, there seems to be an incredible number of variations in sizes even within on size like 1 5/8". In the end used a digital calliper to measure the internal, out diameters and the thickness then found the bearing from these guys. Watch is there an chamfer on the external or internal faces? http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/components.html?cat=32

6. Roger

Roger Veteran

When I received my RT58 the build sheet had the headset specification they had used on it, I had trouble finding a compatible one with correct angles and ended up purchaseing same one from Planet X.

7. OP
    OP
    JaAnTr

JaAnTr Active Member

meta lon and sackville d like this.
  8. sackville d

sackville d Über Member

I`ve bought one too but in the light of what @Roger posted I`ll be checking bearing contact angles and what not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice