1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headset bearing on Planet X RT-58

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by JaAnTr, 29 Oct 2016.

1. JaAnTr

JaAnTr Active Member

Hi,

Today I took my forks off as the steering was becoming incredibly stiff. I had an absolute nightmare getting the headset bearing off, it took being hit probably over 100 times before it finally came off. Once I cleaned and regreased everything I assumed it would go back on easily but it's just won't budge. I can only assume that it's somehow shrunk because it is incredibly tight and I don't have anyway to hit it back on.

So I'm looking to buy a new one but have no idea what to buy or what size. Is it just something like this - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-headset-bearing/

And how will I know if it fits?

Thanks!

2. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

Degrease it and the sizes should be etched on the bearings.

3. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

I also won't budge if you hit me 100 times.

What part of the headset was struck? Where was it struck and what part has now deformed?

4. sackville d

sackville d Über Member

5. huggy

huggy Senior Member

I worked through this problem last night for my Roubaix, there seems to be an incredible number of variations in sizes even within on size like 1 5/8". In the end used a digital calliper to measure the internal, out diameters and the thickness then found the bearing from these guys. Watch is there an chamfer on the external or internal faces? http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/components.html?cat=32

6. Roger

Roger Veteran

When I received my RT58 the build sheet had the headset specification they had used on it, I had trouble finding a compatible one with correct angles and ended up purchaseing same one from Planet X.

7. OP
    OP
    JaAnTr

JaAnTr Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. sackville d

sackville d Über Member

I`ve bought one too but in the light of what @Roger posted I`ll be checking bearing contact angles and what not.