Headset problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Serious pad rattle..lol in fairness there designed to work in one direction and not as your doing to make that happen..

I'm going with the disc not being bolted onto the hub properly.

bb

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Whatever happened it happened quite suddenly. I've been happily riding the bike every day for a week with no problems until yesterday. Funny thing, my last bike had Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes. I woned it for 5 years before it was stolen & in that time I read no end of stories of them being inferior to Shimano. Now I have Shimano and in the first week I have a problem. My Juicy's? Not one fault in 5 years. Go figure.

When I was in the shop today a Cannondale caught my eye. It had Shimano Deore brake levers & I have to say they felt & looked awesome. Overkill for a bike that's just cutting around town but beautiful engineering all the same.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I think the brakes are grabby, although I didn't really feel it on the road. I don't hammer the brakes around town though, preferring to look ahead and look for smooth progress.

Colin_P

Guru
Sounds like the headset bearing race(s) may not be seated flat.

This could result in them rocking which would cause the clonk. If they are not in flat or at 90 degrees to the headset tube everything will appear to be tight from the top when setting them but under load they could move.

If it were mine, I'd have the forks off (again) and pop the bearings out, re-seat them and carefully check they are flat.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I recently put a new stem and bars on my Cannondale. I did what I usually do to adjust the headset - tighten the bolt at the top just enough that I can't detect any clunking or movement when I try to rock the bike backwards and forwards with the front brake on, and then check that the forks can still turn freely.

Well, I was hearing clunking noises when actually riding the bike. The headset felt like it was tight enough but it didn't sound like it was! I discovered that if I lifted the front of the bike by a couple of inches and dropped it, it would clunk every time. I have now tightened the headset a bit more than I normally would and all seems to be well. I think that I am lucky not to have damaged the cups/cones.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
The mechanic in the bike shop is convinced it's the front brake that's suspect but I confess I'm not so sure myself. I certainly couldn't feel any movement in the headset and it definitely looks like it's installed perfectly but I guess I'll just have to wait & see what the mechanic says. The thing is it didn't clunk every time. I really had to make it clunk, which is what makes me think it might not be the headset as I think if it were it would be happening all the time. Also, if either the top or bottom race was not seated perfectly surely that would be obvious when turning the handlebars?

Sounds like the headset bearing race(s) may not be seated flat.

This could result in them rocking which would cause the clonk. If they are not in flat or at 90 degrees to the headset tube everything will appear to be tight from the top when setting them but under load they could move.

If it were mine, I'd have the forks off (again) and pop the bearings out, re-seat them and carefully check they are flat.

I suggested this, but it was ruled out (by the OP).

bb

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Its centre lock disc's yes.. wheel moving when disc is locked..my dt swiss wheel used to move due to under tightening of the lock ring...

I'm showing my ignorance but I don't understand what you mean be "centre lock discs".

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm showing my ignorance but I don't understand what you mean be "centre lock discs".
Some discs bolt onto the hub with 6 bolts onto a one piece hub, others bolt onto a carrier that is held on to the hub by a lockring and the poshest 'float' on a centre lock carrier (and cost a fortune)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The headset felt like it was tight enough but it didn't sound like it was! I discovered that if I lifted the front of the bike by a couple of inches and dropped it, it would clunk every time. I have now tightened the headset a bit more than I normally would and all seems to be well. I think that I am lucky not to have damaged the cups/cones.
I did a 22 mile ride today and the bike behaved perfectly - no more clunks and clicks!

I had always been worried about overtightening Ahead headsets. I think from now on I will start off adjusting them the way I always have (see my previous post) but add the 'drop test'. Now, after readjustment (more tightening) of the headset, if I raise the front of my bike by about 6 inches and then let go, the wheel bounces 4 or 5 times without there being any unwanted noises, but I can still turn the bars freely without excessive friction.

Top Bottom