Headset problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I picked up the bike yesterday from the shop. As luck would have it the only member of staff who spoke any English wasn't there so it was a difficult conversation to say the least. Miserable sod too. Anyway, as far as I can tell they've disassembled the headset & front brake caliper, regreased both & then reassembled. My receipt says they couldn't find anything wrong with the headset but that the brake was very "dry".

There's no noise any more, that's the main thing. I'm inclined to assume it was the brake that was the problem. I'll see how it goes & report back if there's any more problems. Many, many thanks to all who contributed.

One more thing - most of my spending now is going to be on tools. I can do these jobs myself if I have the right tools & the internet. The only thing I won't do is wheel trueing. That's a black art.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Wheel trueing is easier than you think..
I use zip ties on the frame cut to the wheel rim about 2mm gap.. and simply adjust the wobble out so its an even 2mm gap all the way round it's quite rewarding as it happens..

Happy spannering @Goggs

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Many years ago my friend & I decided we'd build him a new back wheel. It was just cheap components and a steel rim. It was quite rewarding but that first build lasted to the end of the street before it imploded. How we all laughed :laugh:

Never again.

Top Bottom