Headset Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sdr gb

Falling apart
Has anybody else had trouble getting a replacement headset for a Trek. My 2006 Trek 1200 is in need of a new headset. I've searched for which headset I need but it seems that the outside diameter of the bearings is unique to Trek models of that age and that replacements can only be sourced through Trek. A Google search seems to confirm this.

I've passed the job on to my LBS which is a Trek dealer and where I bought the bike from, hoping they can get the parts, but they've had it for two weeks now and can't say when it'll be done.

VamP

Banned
Can't help with the Trek, but can confirm that proprietary headsets can be an absolute minefield to get the right bits for. Ask your LBS to convert to semi-integrated (cartridge bearings), and make sure you keep information about which bearings they finally used somewhere mega secure.

I had my Bianchi headset converted to FSA cartridge bearing type and life is now so much easier. Bianchi themselves were worse than useless in advising on the bearing sizes used, situation made worse by the fact they changed types half way through a model year.

OP
OP
sdr gb

sdr gb

Falling apart
Can't help with the Trek, but can confirm that proprietary headsets can be an absolute minefield to get the right bits for. Ask your LBS to convert to semi-integrated (cartridge bearings), and make sure you keep information about which bearings they finally used somewhere mega secure.
Thanks for the advice VamP. I'll have a word with them about a conversion next time I call for a progress report. Although I think is already a semi-integrated set-up.

OP
OP
sdr gb

sdr gb

Falling apart
If is a semi-integrated setup it might be easier to replace the whole headset like them.
Cheers RecordAce. If it is already semi-integrated (can't check as bike at LBS) then I'll ask to replace whole headset. Although I've read that Trek have a unique size for the external diameters in integrated sets, may have the same problems for semi-integrated. Here

Top Bottom