Health & Safety gone ... just gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Was it on here that I read about an ex-soldier who had lost both legs in an explosion in Iraq, and was supported by two artificial limbs.

Now working in the construction industry, he found it very tiresome that he wasn't allowed on sites unless he was wearing 'totectors'.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I used to have to do a full COSHH report every 6 months for my office.
The only item eligible to go in the report was a bottle of correction fluid (liquid paper). This never changed from one year to the next and I wasn't allowed to duplicate the previous years report and change the date; a complete new report had to be generated.
This wasted so much time over the years; a ridiculous and totally pointless tick box exercise. :wacko:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If H+S didn't allow hazards to be identified and a safe method of working established to manage the residual risks how could a snowplough driver get too work... and how could an access scaffold ever get erected!

bruce1530

Guru
Was it on here that I read about an ex-soldier who had lost both legs in an explosion in Iraq, and was supported by two artificial limbs.

Now working in the construction industry, he found it very tiresome that he wasn't allowed on sites unless he was wearing 'totectors'.
I think it might have been me that told that one a few months ago. The guy I know lost his leg in a motorbike accident. His “trainers” are moulded to the end of his (metal rod) artificial legs - and he invariably wears shorts

gbb

Legendary Member
The way we do it is we review our risk assessments annually and everyone in the department (it's a smallish department) reviews them together, alternatively they can be done with a selected small team. COSHH is done by the person bringing the material into the department but has to be checked and countersigned, everyone gets to see the COSHH assessment (it is circulated) so potentially they can 'recycle' it if they have additional concerns.
In a way what you describe happens here when I think about it. I formulate a SOP for a maintenance task and create a risk assessment at the same time. All paperwork is cross referenced (coshh as well if applicable) and forms a training pack for each person to absorb for each specific task. Assuming they're taking notice, their input in anything I've overlooked, or overdone, is most welcome.
But many engineers, in my experience anyway, hate paperwork and just want to get on with the job, so listen, sign and never look at the paperwork again.

Top Bottom