Hearing Aid Advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After much nagging from wife and family I finally went for an NHS hearing test and consultation yesterday - the diagnosis moderate hearing loss at high frequency.

So at the age of 54 I get my first spare part - Hearing aid. Not thrilled at the prospect to be honest - I know they are better than they used to be - but having a bald head I don't possible see how they can be hidden ?

Any advice welcome

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I wasn't thrilled either and after years of blaming people for not speaking clearly and complaining about the sound quality of television programs, I finally gave in to my wife's exasperation and now have two hearing aids.

Like you, I am a baldy and to be honest I don't give a shoot that they're not completely hidden. The clincher for me (as corny as it may sound) was the joy of hearing something I'd missed for several years: the blackird singing in my garden in the evening.

Don't worry about them being partly visible, they do a job well and nobody cares that you wear them. Or if they do, they are dicks and their opinion doesn't matter.

I don't wear them outdoors as the amplified wind noise drives me nuts. Otherwise they are brilliant.

BSOh

Über Member
My mums are virtually un-noticeable, although she paid more than a grand for hers iirc. But tbh she swears she wouldnt be without them whatever they looked like, they make such a diff to her daily life.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Cheers for the support folks.
My plan is to start with the NHS ones - and if they work I don't mind paying a grand or so for me discreet ones - but I am making a few assumptions based on very little knowledge.

I've had two NHS ones in silver for about 6 years now, (both were renewed about 18 months ago as well, nothing wrong with them they just renewed them anyway), and FWIW I'm still only 45 and I have a number 1 buzz cut hairstyle :tongue:

TBH I don't wear them at work but that's due to the noise inside wagons, work vans and whilst operating plant machinery, but if I ever manage to get a new job, (fingers crossed), it wouldn't bother me to wear them.

I wear them for watching TV and socially and I've never felt anyone staring or taking the Mick, you'll be fine once your used to them.

As for private ones, having had my NHS ones for so long I wouldn't bother considering their cost. Plus don't forget all your maintenance. New tubes, new ear buds and batteries are gratis on the NHS, I can't imagine they are privately.

Also do you have to pay for follow up appointments and retuning privately, you don't with NHS ones.

Lastly, if I lose one apparently I only have to pay about £50-£60 for a replacement.

To me private ones boil down to what price you put on vanity, personally I don't give a flying feck anyway, but I can appreciate others do :okay:

[EDIT] There was a thread earlier this month which might be of use as well, LINKY

Last edited:

clockworksimon

Über Member
I have two NHS behind the ear aids with ear moulds and also have short hair. There is a strong school of thought which says that aids should be visible. This provides a visual cue for people talking clearly to you, facing you and not obscuring their mouths (you may find you are lip reading already).

My NHS aids are good, but are a couple of models behind the very latest aids by the same manufacturer (only available privately). This is sort of equivalent to using an iphone 5 when the latest is a 7 or whatever. In other words decent spec and very expensive to get the private equivalent.

When you first get the aids they will be set as recommended by the computer software based upon your audiogram. You will almost certainly need the settings fine tuned possibly 2 or more times before they are optimal. Don't be shy about going back!

To get the most from them you have to persevere and use them at least for a few hours each day. Over weeks, your brain will adjust to hearing noises it hasn't had to process for a long time. See how you get on. It takes some time and can be quite tiring and difficult but is definitely worth it!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
After much nagging from wife and family I finally went for an NHS hearing test and consultation yesterday - the diagnosis moderate hearing loss at high frequency.

So at the age of 54 I get my first spare part - Hearing aid. Not thrilled at the prospect to be honest - I know they are better than they used to be - but having a bald head I don't possible see how they can be hidden ?

Any advice welcome
Let us know how you get on with them, i have the same problem loss of high frequency, i was told they only amplify what you already hear they do not give you back the high frequency loss.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Let us know how you get on with them, i have the same problem loss of high frequency, i was told they only amplify what you already hear they do not give you back the high frequency loss.

They will increase the volume of high frequencies relative to other frequencies, a bit like using a graphic equaliser.

Mine also shift high frequency sounds which I cannot hear whatever the volume into a frequency which I can hear. Its a bit weird and takes getting used to as it isn't natural sound. However it means you can be aware of sounds which otherwise you would not hear.

My biggest difficulty is hearing in noisy environments such as in cars and social settings. Still working with the audiologist to work this out.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

That's not my experience. Turning up the volume on things didn't help me at all, whereas the hearing aids give me the clarity I was missing. High frequency sounds like birdsong were lost to me until I got mine fitted.

GM

Legendary Member

I'm the same, got the loss of the high frequency scale by about 20%. I've 2 NHS aids, went to specsavers at Palmers Green. Get a referral form them and get your GP to fill it in. Can recommend them, but they only have Friday appointments. Your Hi Fi will will never sound better!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
That's not my experience. Turning up the volume on things didn't help me at all, whereas the hearing aids give me the clarity I was missing. High frequency sounds like birdsong were lost to me until I got mine fitted.

Exactly what I was told. He said "I bet you struggle to hear the tv - but can hear background noise" and that's exactly it .

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
@kingrollo Are you getting one aid or two?

Well he said its the same in both ears - so presumably 2
Found this stuff on ebay which you squirt in your ears and its supposed to fix it - only £10 - takes a while to arrive as its from kazakhstan - got good reviews though !

Ive also put in an industrial deafness claim (haven't heard anything yet though) - boom - boom

Top Bottom