Heart attack part two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
That's hardly taking it that easy , do you use a heart rate monitor?

Once I'd had a heart attack I was told not to use heart rate monitors, just to take notice of how I feel. Apparently beta blockers make any readings from them meaningless anyway.

Albert

Über Member
Just seen this thread. I had a heart attack some 5 years ago after a lifetime of heavy smoking and being a professional couch potato. I sustained some permanent heart damage..... Am on medication for the rest of my life...... Had a stent (inserted through the wrist not the groin) fitted and have subsequently had 3 skin cancer operations, pneumonia + cataract and prostate operations.
During this time I have taken up cycling in a big way and, according to my Garmin 705, have now covered well over 16,000 miles and climbed over 820,000 feet (I live in Wales).
I always use a heart rate monitor and find it very useful as a means of seeing how hard I am working. I too am on beta-blockers but I get up to 150bpm regularly (I am 64) and my heart rate seems to be pretty normal except for being, I assume, controlled to some extent.
My only issue seems to be that I have reached a fitness plateau and can't seem to get beyond doing 60/70 mile rides. I am a little frustrated by this as every 100k ride with over 4000ft is a continuing big challenge that leaves me knackered.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Albert, an amazing story, it's always good to read stuff like this as many people who face these type of challenges just turn into couch potatoes or worse.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whoah Albert, I think you are doing well. 64, 5 years post heart attack, doing 60-70 mile rides and being knackered - seems like what most fit people feel like. Wow hat's off to you !

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just had my first proper checkup at the hospital and all is well, a bit of fine tuning with the medication needed but apart from that the Doc says go for it;
Never really worried about it but it makes you feel better when the Doc says your fine, the other half is happy hearing it from him aswell.
Just thought i would share the good news.

Crankarm

Guru
My old man is a chain smoker, 73 years old and fit as a fiddle, ok his breath and clothes stink. He's always been active and never really splurged on food or drunk much alcohol, eats in moderation. I think being fat is more dangerous than smoking but the combination of food, booze and smoke can be fatal, heart attack leading to premature death.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
It's probably best to limit your risk by cutting out the triggers of the risk, fatty food, lack of exercise and certainly smoking. You hear of the odd person who smokes and lives to ninety, you hear of many that smoke and die prematurely.

My only issue seems to be that I have reached a fitness plateau and can't seem to get beyond doing 60/70 mile rides. I am a little frustrated by this as every 100k ride with over 4000ft is a continuing big challenge that leaves me knackered.

I've never smoked, not had a heart attack, cycled since I was a kid and am a ten years younger than you and I'm really chuffed, not frustrated, when I complete a ride like that.

D

Deleted member 1258

I plateaued about 20 years ago and haven't varied a lot since, my Angina in 2008 didn't knock my distance much, but it did knock my speed a bit. Albert you are doing well, after your health problems getting in 60/70 mile rides is good going, well done for doing them.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have not smoked since the attack cold turkey and doing alright on that side, my average speed has dropped very slightly, i put that down to the pills. done a couple of 50 milers felt like i could go on and do a few more, now i have the all clear from the Doc i will push a bit harder.:whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

Have not smoked since the attack cold turkey and doing alright on that side, my average speed has dropped very slightly, i put that down to the pills. done a couple of 50 milers felt like i could go on and do a few more, now i have the all clear from the Doc i will push a bit harder.:whistle:

It sounds like its had the same effect on you as the Angina had on me.

Top Bottom