Heat pump experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Anyone have any experiences - good or bad - to report with these new-fangled air source heat pumps?

We stayed in a Sussex Holiday Cottage in May '21, it had Air source heat pump, owner also provided us with a stack of logs for the log burner saying: "The heat pump takes the chill off but that's all". We needed the log burner!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've had one for years - so long that it's not "new-fangled". It works perfectly and the only time it's needed any attention is after the bathroom fitters removed a radiator and so the system lost pressure.

The only slight issue I have is that all the controls on mine are in the loft so I have to go up there on the rare occasion that I need to do anything with it.

I'd happily recommend it and the company who installed it - though as they're local to me that's not much use to you.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My son has had one since last springtime. In the coldest weather it does give out heat but in the large sitting room it is not quite enough so they use a gas heater to top up the heat when needed. Their gas consumption is not high and they have been on the same cylinder for a few months.
My bedroom was warm enough on my last visit when it was pretty cold.

When I lived in New Zealand, in the early 2000s, the flat I rented had a ground source heat pump and it was BRILLIANT. I wasn't even near any geothermal energy. Not sure I'd go for air source here, though, unless I was somewhere coastal and picking up the influence of the Gulf Stream, or somewhere with a benevolent microclimate.

Reactions: gbb

Dolorous Edd

I've got two in the kitchen, I've had one for nearly 58 years, and another for 34 years. I used to have a car with one too.

^_^

tom73

Guru
Not that new Kelvin first talk about them in the 1850's.
They don't heat to same degree as gas boilers you just adapted to how they work. But if you qualify for the grant it's worth having a real look at them. Hopefully by the time the council need to upgrade ours we get the option to have one.

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive had ground source heat pump on our old house for 18 years worked fine-albeit noisy being an early design.

Used a modern Panasonic airsource heat pumpp on a newbuild I built. Worked great, plenty of heat and would heat a 300 litre tank to 55°C. You need excellent insulation.

Our renovation we will use high output Daikin airsource heat pump. These will have heating temperatures upto 60,°C for radiators

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Anyone have any experiences - good or bad - to report with these new-fangled air source heat pumps?

Someone local has had one installed , I shall maybe ask next time I see them . If I was building a brand new house now , I’d install one as the insulation would be n spec for it ! Think it needs partnered with UFH as well . However current gas CH will have to do for now. They might work well together with a gas boiler ? Some new builds have similar ? Key thing is insulation !!

PK99

Legendary Member
Someone local has had one installed , I shall maybe ask next time I see them . If I was building a brand new house now , I’d install one as the insulation would be n spec for it ! Think it needs partnered with UFH as well . However current gas CH will have to do for now. They might work well together with a gas boiler ? Some new builds have similar ? Key thing is insulation !!

3 storey gable end of our house is solid brick. The staircase is against that flank wall = internal insulation is not possible. Conservation area status means external insulation is not possible.

Temperature of that wall in the cold spell, with CH on was 12C

A heat pump is going to struggle

Jameshow

Veteran
Our house is a 1 1/2 bungalow with no insulation below a timber floor and little insulation in the roof voids. Would need to insulate first and probably put in a couple of dormers in the front as ours dosent have then whilst the rest do!🤔

Top Bottom