Heat pump experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have one in my new flat and I am very happy with it it. It is a Grant heat pump. I've set it to 18C which is warm enough for me and haven't really done anything else. I always have loads of hot water. It just does it's thing.

Even after a cold December I estimate it is costing about a third of what it cost to heat my previous flat in gas which was also a reasonably recent build with good insulation. (I don't know what gas costs any more but assume it has gone up by a similar factor to my electricity tariff.) it is also nice and quiet. My previous gas boiler was very noisy.

gzoom

Über Member
Ive had ground source heat pump on our old house for 18 years worked fine-albeit noisy being an early design.

Our building works is literally about to start. The current quote included gas boiler+unvented cylinder.

We have the land needed for a ground sourced heat pump but I suspect it'll add £20k to the bill (already far too high).

I'm going to wait and see how the costing looks once we are at 1st fix. I presume there aren't many UK companies familiar with domestic installs for ground source heat pumps?

Milzy

Guru
I have one in my new flat and I am very happy with it it. It is a Grant heat pump. I've set it to 18C which is warm enough for me and haven't really done anything else. I always have loads of hot water. It just does it's thing.

Even after a cold December I estimate it is costing about a third of what it cost to heat my previous flat in gas which was also a reasonably recent build with good insulation. (I don't know what gas costs any more but assume it has gone up by a similar factor to my electricity tariff.) it is also nice and quiet. My previous gas boiler was very noisy.

Excellent, we make stuff for Grants.

@gzoom, it might be worth looking at a thing called carbon offsetting which is where companies pay money towards offsetting their carbon emissions by decarbonising a property and get a tax credit in their books in return.

The other way to bring the install cost down, if you get a tariff it’s often signed over to the firm for 10 years and they pay for your install.

CXRAndy

Guru
Our building works is literally about to start. The current quote included gas boiler+unvented cylinder.

We have the land needed for a ground sourced heat pump but I suspect it'll add £20k to the bill (already far too high).

I'm going to wait and see how the costing looks once we are at 1st fix. I presume there aren't many UK companies familiar with domestic installs for ground source heat pumps?

There are many doing renewable installs. The issue is do your research on which systems work for you, dont be swayed by companies pushing only their products. If you have a newbuild I would go with airsource personally- just for convenience. A point to note you need to have the outside compressor unit away from the main house. Its not that they are noisy, but blow really cold air when running. I positioned mine behind the garage and had around a 20 metre run of insulated pipes back to the house. Also your plant room doesn't have to be massive probably the size of taking 2* 300 litres hot water tanks (1.5*1.5metres*2.4m high).

The COP-coefficient of performance between ground source and airsource isnt that great a difference. Also now you can get high output airsource units so can have radiators traditionally hot.

If you're building a newbuild, think about an MHVR system-(self installed, quite simple). This will distribute air to all rooms balancing out variations. I went around every room in my newbuild before it was occupied, each room was within 1 deg C in every part of the room, corners, near the floor or roof. The gentle movement of air kept everything even temperature. I even extracted the warm air from the water tank/buffer tank cupboard into the landing, then the air was taken up and used to warm the filtered incoming air on the MHVR I used this company for the MHVR BPC

flir_20210616T100744.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom