Heatwave tyre pressures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Never given it a thought or had any issues.

mustang1

Guru
I take my bike out of the studio and leave it outside for 20 minutes while I sort out my riding kit.

In that time, i figure theres enough time for air pressure from inside the studio to outside the studio to have stabilized in the tyres. I then pump the tyres to 95psi (25mm gp5000) and Im good to go. If the pressure increases due to excessive heat (either by braking or day temperature), I dont think it will make too much difference (no continuous long descents on my rides).

OP
OP
Roadrat77

Roadrat77

I take my bike out of the studio and leave it outside for 20 minutes while I sort out my riding kit.

In that time, i figure theres enough time for air pressure from inside the studio to outside the studio to have stabilized in the tyres. I then pump the tyres to 95psi (25mm gp5000) and Im good to go. If the pressure increases due to excessive heat (either by braking or day temperature), I dont think it will make too much difference (no continuous long descents on my rides).

I store both mine in the garage which is like a furnace at the moment and when I checked the pressure before a ride on Friday morning it was way up on what it normally is so I deflated all four tyres straight away but I have heard of a few going pop even when stationary which got me thinking.

Big John

Guru
Had one blow a couple of days ago in the garage. The wheel belonged to a mate, a carbon rimmed jobby. I put it down to the garage being like a furnace but everywhere is like a furnace at the moment. My sheds are even hotter. I checked the tube and it had split along one of the joins, quite a large hole. Before it blew it was at 80psi. I had one blow on the way home from a TLI bike race. The wheels were in the back of the car. It scared the living c**p out of me 😳

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Your tyre pressure will increase by a piddling amount in hot weather. No need to worry.

Lookee here......

View: https://medium.com/@matthew_vdh/how-much-will-my-bike-tyre-pressure-increase-by-on-a-hot-day-9fd76412a951

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some tyres are perilously close to blowing off when they get to their maximum sidewall pressure (most have far more headroom). Schwalbe Duranos are one of them - they will pop off a rim at around 115psi. Those could be a problem in the heat if you'd put 110psi in during the cool of early morning. Add a bit of brake heat and you're in all sorts of trouble.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
When I was cycling in the Alps and summer heat I often found that my tyres had gone from “a bit of give” outside the hotel in the morning to “rock hard+” at the top of a pass. Never had a blow out or any trouble.

Aren't the more likely to be hot at the bottom of a pass, hotter valley temperature and after being heated up by (rim) braking on the descent?

byegad

Legendary Member
My first wife blew a Raleigh Shopper rear tyre off the rim. A long descent where she rode the rear brake all the way down, a bumpy unmade road and the BOOM! sounded like a cannon going off. The tube was in shreds and the sidewall split. I went to help and promptly burnt my fingers on the steel rim. I'd estimate the rim to be well over 150C.
On a similar topic the airline demands that tyres be deflated is a load of fetid dingo kidneys. Give sea level pressure is 14psi, at altitude it is less, but even a vacuum it will only add 14psi to the pressure! Take into account that at high altitude the temperature can be -40C and only a modest reduction below the maximum sidewall pressure should be fine.

My first wife blew a Raleigh Shopper rear tyre off the rim. A long descent where she rode the rear brake all the way down, a bumpy unmade road and the BOOM! sounded like a cannon going off. The tube was in shreds and the sidewall split. I went to help and promptly burnt my fingers on the steel rim. I'd estimate the rim to be well over 150C.
On a similar topic the airline demands that tyres be deflated is a load of fetid dingo kidneys. Give sea level pressure is 14psi, at altitude it is less, but even a vacuum it will only add 14psi to the pressure! Take into account that at high altitude the temperature can be -40C and only a modest reduction below the maximum sidewall pressure should be fine.

Yes I always tell airlines I've let the air out of my tyres - technically I have but only about 5psi. I'd much prefer air in the tyres to protect the rims in transit.

Top Bottom