Hebden Bridge ride, advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
Was thinking of going on a road ride around the moors to the west of Hebden bridge and have sussed out a decent loop which goes up via Blackshaw Head over to Burnley then comes back via Widdop resevoir and back round to Hebden Bridge. It looks nice and scenic and a bit of a challenge, and there seem to be lots of pubs en-route according to the OS map. One issue of concern I have is how hazardous are the descents. There look to be multiple steep descents on that loop and one of them near Widdop is shown on the map as a >20% gradient with a 120 degree hairpin at the bottom. Has anyone else ridden around there who could advise on any other nasties on those roads that I need to be aware of in advance.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Just wait for colinj to get out of bed, he has hundreds of routes over that way......usually hilly...:smile:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
. One issue of concern I have is how hazardous are the descents. There look to be multiple steep descents on that loop and one of them near Widdop is shown on the map as a >20% gradient with a 120 degree hairpin at the bottom. Has anyone else ridden around there who could advise on any other nasties on those roads that I need to be aware of in advance.

The hairpin you talking about is not as bad as it seems on the map (thats if its the one that loops around the old chapel now scout hut) , i have done most of those lanes many times and as long as its not under 3deg and no ice is forcast you will be fine, i would be more worried about getting up the hill up to Widdop Reservoir than coming down them (slowly and carefully)
Fantastic views and coutryside up there, i love doing it

This is my the version i do.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2020312

Between 18 - 19 you will be sucking air in all over going up that hill

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm back! (Today, I travelled back up from Christmas in the Midlands.)

Is that Horsham in Sussex? Long way to come for a ride!

The route via Blackshaw Head, The Long Causeway, Worsthorne and Widdop is a nice one but I prefer my 'Trauma of Trawden' loop, or some variation of it. That is Hebden Bridge, Keighley Road, Oxenhope, Penistone Hill, Stanbury, Scar Top, Laneshaw Bridge, Trawden, Clarion House, Coldwell, Thursden, Widdop, Heptonstall (or via Lee Wood to avoid the village and its cobbles), turning circle, Hebden Bridge. That's a very scenic and hilly 29 miler.

Yes, some of the descents are steep but you just have to be sensible and ride with due caution. I'm happy to top 55 mph where it is safe to do so, but I often do the 20+% twisty turny stuff at less than 10 mph. Just be subtle with your braking, and do it in good time. Don't fly down into a dip and grap a fistful of brake at the last second and expect to get round a tight bend at the bottom still on the bike! :thumbsup:

The biggest problem at this time of year is usually the risk of ice on the hilltop roads, especially those in shaded valleys. At the moment we are having a mild spell so the roads should be okay, but watch out if the temperatures plummet again. Wet roads are pretty slippery too of course, so also watch out on them.

Yes, there are quite a few pubs round the route, and 3 or 4 cafes that we use too. If you wanted company, I'm sure that one or more of the local CC members would be happy to guide you round. I'm off the bike due to illness, otherwise I'd offer.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I'm back! (Today, I travelled back up from Christmas in the Midlands.)

Is that Horsham in Sussex? Long way to come for a ride!

The route via Blackshaw Head, The Long Causeway, Worsthorne and Widdop is a nice one but I prefer my 'Trauma of Trawden' loop, or some variation of it. That is Hebden Bridge, Keighley Road, Oxenhope, Penistone Hill, Stanbury, Scar Top, Laneshaw Bridge, Trawden, Clarion House, Coldwell, Thursden, Widdop, Heptonstall (or via Lee Wood to avoid the village and its cobbles), turning circle, Hebden Bridge. That's a very scenic and hilly 29 miler.

Colin, like the ride name , but would something more inviting like the "Trundle through Trawden" have been a bit more inviting.

al78 when are you thinking of doing the ride, as Colin says there are a few around here that would get out and have a ride if you want company.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
Thanks for the advice ColinJ. I am up with family in Salford so Hebden Bridge is a nice easy place to get too for a hilly ride.

DiddlyDodds: I am planning to go out tomorrow, as it firstly is my only free day before I go back home and secondly looks to be the only day it is not p*ss*ng with rain. My plan is to get the 9:14 train to Hebden Bridge arriving 9:52 which should give plenty of time for 25 miles or so before sunset. Probably a bit short notice now for people to join me but I'll be at Hebden Bridge station between 10 and 10:30 if anyone wants to join me; look for a man with a blue Birdy folder.

tubbycyclist

I am out and about on the bike today and will head to HB station for the train. Just stopped raining in HB now

A couple of the cafes are shut over Xmas now, but should be a couple of places just off route.

There is probably not much in it between @al78 's route and @ColinJ 's ride, despite the lurid name of the latter! They both feature the scenic climb from Thursden valley, probably more cafe opportunities (at Trawden and Wycoller) than the Blackshaw Head/Worsthorne variant. Still pubs around - although there have been a couple of closures .

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just seen your post about doing it today, sadly i could not have gone as my little girl is not well (chickenpox)
Looking out the window it looks fine but rather breezy.

tubbycyclist

Having eaten too much over Xmas, I have broken the ride down into several courses.

An ascent of Mytholm Steeps as a starter, two sets of double chevrons in the first mile. Anyone who knows this one will know that it falls into the "combo starter for two" category, can be too much for one person to finish!

The main course was the fight into the headwind of the Long Causeway towards Burnley.

Dessert was a small but challenging climb of the Thursden valley. The liquid accompaniment to all of the courses was driving rain, although this sometimes turned to sleet and hail.

Enjoyed it though, and great to get out after enforced lethargy over Xmas

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
A good ride, good company, a good hilly workout after a week of inactivity. Was very glad of the respite in the weather after leaving the pub which allowed me to dry out.

Top Bottom