Hell on Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you more likely to be killed cycling slow or cycling fast?

This appears a sensible question, but it is not. If a slow cyclist is hit by a car and killed, one might imagine that had the cyclist been travelling a little quicker, they might have been elsewhere at the moment of impact.

However, by travelling faster and arriving at their destination earlier they might be walking beneath a loose chandelier at the very moment it fell.

As long as there are no chandeliers or venomous snakes at your destination, then faster is safer than slower. Probably. This discounts all other possible variables, although with the exception of spike-filled pits and land mines, most of these will have a negligible effect on the final result.

I feel this question requires to be taken rather more seriously than you seem capable of. Making light of this vexed and thorny topic seems both lame and incredibly stupid.

No wonder our young people see so little to stir optimism in their blighted souls!

I hope this will help....

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Not the first time I've asked myself if you're a troll.....

Oh come on! It's a bunch of people whose only goal is cycling fast for money. Many of them even take drugs so they can be better at it. In any other pursuit, they'd be called nerds or freaks. These people have no life, which is why I loathe bicycle racing. It's like being a professional football player or tennis player (although at least there are clear strategies and tactics in those sports), or a person who spends all his life memorizing sports statistics - the single-minded pursuit of something that doesn't matter at all. Personally, I don't see what anyone can possibly see in racing sports.

The fact that you disagree vehemently with me doesn't make me a troll. It just makes you wrong, LOL. I'm guessing you're more of a sport cyclist than a commuter. You probably see tons of strategy and tactics in a bunch of men making their legs go round and round really fast. Sorry, but I don't.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Unlike us lot, who are talking about them on the internet of a Saturday afternoon!

Yeah, but we go on to do other stuff. They just cycle fast, then they cycle fast some more, then they train for cycling fast, then they get their blood replaced with blood that lets them make their legs go round even faster, then they cycle fast some more, then it's time to take the drug that enhances their fast cycling abilities but will not show up when they're tested, then they cycle fast some more, then foolish people give them money for cycling fast, and that encourages them to cycle fast even more. It's just so BORING!

redcard

Veteran
Yeah, but we go on to do other stuff. They just cycle fast, then they cycle fast some more, then they train for cycling fast, then they get their blood replaced with blood that lets them make their legs go round even faster, then they cycle fast some more, then it's time to take the drug that enhances their fast cycling abilities but will not show up when they're tested, then they cycle fast some more, then foolish people give them money for cycling fast, and that encourages them to cycle fast even more. It's just so BORING!

What other stuff are you going to do that's so exciting?

BSRU

A Human Being
Your potentially describing all professional sports, I'm just a plain commuter cyclist I have been enjoying the live coverage of the Tour de France, the first tour I have watched for years.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My interest in watching cycling coincided with me taking up cycling. Having done 100k at a rolling average of 15mph, I can't fail to be impressed by a bunch of blokes doing twice that distance, at twice that speed, up mountains, whilst having their dinner.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
nowhere else have I encountered a driving culture so cut throat, vicious, reckless, hostile, and violently competitive as London’s
Must be something about the British !

So, racing would be ok if you did other stuff as well.

Hmm, so maybe racing while commuting on your way to your job? Oh, no that's not ok with you either, I gather.

Top Bottom