Hello everyone from Sunny ... I mean Rainy Scotland!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toroddf

Hello from the Troon to Bearsden bikeride (although sitting in a sofa).

On my rides north of the river (Clyde), I have mostly taken the train to Milngavie. But what is the best route from Renfrew to Bearsden/Milngavie ?

Hawk

Veteran
Hello from the Troon to Bearsden bikeride (although sitting in a sofa).

On my rides north of the river (Clyde), I have mostly taken the train to Milngavie. But what is the best route from Renfrew to Bearsden/Milngavie ?

The route I take is on-road.

http://g.co/maps/9ea95

I would say this is quite a busy wee on-road route, were you looking for it as a commute route or are you after a quieter one for leisure rides?

The clyde cycle tunnel is a really nifty shortcut (if you can figure out how to get in to it!)

Entry from the south is on Holmfaudhead Place which is just off Govan road (waypointed in that map above). This takes you out where I've added that waypoint just north of the cycle tunnel.

Coming back (north to south) you need to take a left off Balshagray avenue on to Victoria park Gardens South and then turn right immediately down the little alleyway you can see here http://g.co/maps/6u3uk

Out that alleyway, right turn, keep going and then nip down here http://g.co/maps/w2tk3

That underpass brings you out here (behind the parked cars and shrubbery) and then you need to make a u-turn so you're going away from the camera down Balshagray Crescent. The tunnel is just round the corner.

Main Hazard points:

http://g.co/maps/pzhkd

(just after the Shell Garage, going from Renfrew to Milngavie/just as you pass that railway bridge, going the other way)
Cars stop and queue to turn right to that side road. Cars not turning right (the majority) are squeezed from two lanes down to one, so cars go from the rightmost lane to the left lane - make sure you're not squeezed in to the gutter here, take the lane

You need to be in the rightmost lane for Canniesburn Toll roundabout to take 2nd exit, better done sooner rather than later

Take care at the mini roundabout immediately following canniesburn toll, poor visibility to the right

toroddf

Hi.

I have actually done that route the opposite way and I have also been through the tunnel a lot of times. Last time, one week ago.

I know the entrances closest to Glasgow on the Clyde Tunnel though. The other one is unknown to me. Yeah, I like Clyde Tunnel and use it a lot.

I thought the road from Renfrew Ferry up over Scotstoun and Anniesland Drive was the easiest. But I will check both out. I am a big fan of B808 when I am going from Bishopsbriggs though. 40 minutes from the Springburn high flats to Clyde Tunnel is not bad.

Do you go over Kilwinning from Troon to Clyde Tunnel ? The easiest & funniest by far is Kilmaurs, Dunlop, Lugton, Barrhead and Clyde Tunnel. Or even better; Troon to Kilmarnock, Fenwick Moor, Balgray Reservoir and Clyde Tunnel. The latter one is the best ride in my view.

Hawk

Veteran
Hi.

I have actually done that route the opposite way and I have also been through the tunnel a lot of times. Last time, one week ago.

I know the entrances closest to Glasgow on the Clyde Tunnel though. The other one is unknown to me. Yeah, I like Clyde Tunnel and use it a lot.

I thought the road from Renfrew Ferry up over Scotstoun and Anniesland Drive was the easiest. But I will check both out. I am a big fan of B808 when I am going from Bishopsbriggs though. 40 minutes from the Springburn high flats to Clyde Tunnel is not bad.

Do you go over Kilwinning from Troon to Clyde Tunnel ? The easiest & funniest by far is Kilmaurs, Dunlop, Lugton, Barrhead and Clyde Tunnel. Or even better; Troon to Kilmarnock, Fenwick Moor, Balgray Reservoir and Clyde Tunnel. The latter one is the best ride in my view.

The time I went, I did indeed go via Kilwinning along National Cycle Route 7. I have been along Fenwick Moor going somewhere else and quite enjoyed it though!

Top Bottom