Hello from Slough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewD

Hi, after the obligatory 20+ years of car, beer & kids I have decided I need to get fit again. Used to do 200 miles a week on the bike and now going round the block is an effort :shy: (in my defence it involves a hill! :whistle:)

Abandoned the old MTB and brought an almost new Carrera Virtuoso to see how I get on, biggest problem is my 13 year old has fallen in love with it after the block of iron that he has for the school ride (anything better than £100 ASDA/Halfords gets stolen or vandalised).

Adding swimming sessions twice a week and looking forward to getting fitter! :becool:

RAYMOND

Welcome and enjoy yourself,thats the main thing,this time next year you might of acheived your goals.

defy-one

Welcome Andrew, I'm in Iver Heath and often ride into/through Slough.
Gimme a shout when your able or wanting to do a 10-15 mile loop through stoke poges or out towards Windsor

Norm

And I'm in Windsor and often head up through Slough and have a 14 year old who liked my roadies enough he went and bought himself a Carrera. :biggrin:

OP
OP
AndrewD

AndrewD

Cheers Guy's currently I need to work on stamina as it's pitiful! Swimming has been great and in 2 weeks have pushed from doing 50m and thinking I'll pass out, to doing 650m on Friday and still feeling pretty fresh after recovery time.

I'm active and it's been a shock to find I'm not as fit as I thought, I need to get fitter as I'm Scuba diving and the entrance exam is a 200m swim and I'm still not doing the 650 in a single hit.

I'm tempted to build a Chinese carbon bike and let my son have the Carrera

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello.
I was in Slough yesterday and the day before as I was at the Paralympic rowing and the buses to it went to/from the station.

Keep it up, you'll get fitter!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Actually, the Windsor And Eton Railway Society were having an open day in a small building near the station at Slough. I took a quick look, but due to me getting the wrong time in my head about when the Athletics was starting I didn't hang about and got over to Stratford when in fact I could have relaxed and took my time (I had a thing the day before at 17.30 and that's what I was what I was obviously thinking of and I'd already stopped at The Dorney Kitchen Garden for lunch and a rest, so half five suddenly didn't seem such a long time away....) :blush:

Norm

I live pretty close to the lake, rather than Slough, and Family Norm went across to the rowing on Friday. Well, I went as well but only because my card had been used to buy the tickets, so I was the mug who had to get up early and go before the rest of them and queue whilst they had an extra cuppa. Then I handed over the tickets and went off to work whilst they spent the morning watching the games.

OP
OP
AndrewD

AndrewD

I'm about 2 miles away, right on the border with Burnham. Avoid Slough whenever possible!!

Out early tomorrow to get a ride in, need to look at a Turbo Trainer as well...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I live pretty close to the lake, rather than Slough, and Family Norm went across to the rowing on Friday. Well, I went as well but only because my card had been used to buy the tickets, so I was the mug who had to get up early and go before the rest of them and queue whilst they had an extra cuppa. Then I handed over the tickets and went off to work whilst they spent the morning watching the games.

I might have seen you/them. Perhaps instead of wearing my Scottish rowing t-shirt (with a large thistle on the front with little rowers within it) I should have work my CC jersey (although I did wear a black cycling jersey underneath it to prevent my arms getting burned and to have some pockets. What I didn't cover got cooked).

I'm about 2 miles away, right on the border with Burnham. Avoid Slough whenever possible!!

As for Slough or 'Sluff', well, it is a place who's reputation precedes it, a bit like Milton Keynes, but I wanted to see it at least once (or twice in this case).

I'm off the road cycling at Brands Hatch in a few days time (the 5th and 6th I think) and will be wearing my Cycle Chat jersey there, so if you are watching it on the telly either day, keep an eye out for an ugly Scotsman in the background wearing one!

Norm

Out early tomorrow to get a ride in, need to look at a Turbo Trainer as well...
I worked in Wooburn Green for a few months in 2010 and went up through the Beeches quite frequently, and i did a lush loop past Dorney Wood a few times. I never did get used to, or like, the climb through Taplow but the roads were lovely once you get passed Taplow Court. :thumbsup:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Greetings mate im not far from you in maidenhead and im also on the get fit routine (it sucks :heat: ) I cant match up to these olympic visitors but i did work at dorney lake when it was just an old gravel pit saw it on the tele man how things have changed down there !

Top Bottom