Hello from Slough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

... but i did work at dorney lake when it was just an old gravel pit saw it on the tele man how things have changed down there !
Haven't they just. It's a great place to ride around too, Mark. Big and flat, there's always a headwind there and they don't like people racing round it, as it's well-used by dog walkers and joggers, but there always seems to be a good feel to the place.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Haven't they just. It's a great place to ride around too, Mark. Big and flat, there's always a headwind there and they don't like people racing round it, as it's well-used by dog walkers and joggers, but there always seems to be a good feel to the place.

I did notice the amount of cyclists riding along with the rowers :smile: i used to fly round the place in my tipper (and im a cycling friendly hgv driver before i get pelters :thumbsup: ) our firm had a hospitality tent at the rowing but my invite must have got lost in the post :tongue:

Norm

I did notice the amount of cyclists riding along with the rowers :smile: i used to fly round the place in my tipper (and im a cycling friendly hgv driver before i get pelters :thumbsup: ) our firm had a hospitality tent at the rowing but my invite must have got lost in the post :tongue:
It wasn't Cemex was it? I went for a job with them in the middle of Maidenhead... but I didn't get it so they are all buffoons. :giggle:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
No it wasnt i work for summerleaze where was the Cemex job ? i only know of 2 concrete plants in Maidenhead 1 in Bray the other is know shut down but it was where our offfice is now. Agreed though the Mexicans have ruined the glory days of RMC lol

Norm

No it wasnt i work for summerleaze where was the Cemex job ? i only know of 2 concrete plants in Maidenhead 1 in Bray the other is know shut down but it was where our office is now. Agreed though the Mexicans have ruined the glory days of RMC lol
The Cemex job was at their head office on the A4 at the bottom of Castle Hill.

If you are still at Summerleaze, big thanks to yourself and your colleagues, we often ride past the entrance to the Bray depot and I've only ever been amazed at how cycle-conscious they seem to be. :thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The people on the bikes you saw were the coaches and other officials, we mere plebs were kept behind a small fence, but you could still stand at the start line and see them all at close quarters. Most of the bikes appeared to be official white London 2012 branded machines. They looked chunky and had suspension, so probably weren't terribly fast, but good enough for following your guys and gals.

defy-one

Hows is the "Slough Massif"
Placed for sept 15th for the inaugral Slough CC Sportive challenge thingymajij!

A gentle ride around Slough Windsor. No one takes off and no one gets left behind ?????

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Hows is the "Slough Massif"
Placed for sept 15th for the inaugral Slough CC Sportive challenge thingymajij!

A gentle ride around Slough Windsor. No one takes off and no one gets left behind ?????

Im up for that mate providing ive got my bike sorted with Halfords by then im rather hoping it should be cos im getting rather p'd off with it now :cursing:

hotmetal

Cor, we'll have an East Berks splinter group (splitters!) going in a minute! I'm in the area too, always keen to make new friends, though finding time for rides seems to be tricky at the mo. If you chaps get something off the ground, theoretically I'd like to join you for a bimble round the more picturesque parts of the area (other commitments permitting).

(That is unless the route involves Priest Hill or Crimp Hill in an upwards direction more than once, in which case I'll be, erm, washing my hair that day)

defy-one

Priest hill is epic - done it once between cardiac arrests!!!!
Was fun on the way down mind! :shitscared

hotmetal

Can't decide which of the 2 I like (?) more. When I first got my road bike a couple of years ago, I also scared myself half to death caning it down Crimpers. Coming from mountainbikes, I was unprepared for the twitchy handling of carbon race bikes. There I was, down in the drops, big ring, large portions, eye on the speedo, when the front started to 'slap' and I was gripping the bars like my life depended on it. Of course, this is the worst thing you can do, but once the old 'tankslapper' starts, hands tighten and a**es loosen – it requires Yoda-like skills to get your mind to override your body's reaction. Somehow I didn't crash but I tend to go a little slower down it now! Priest Hill is a bit better cos it's straighter and not as rough, but somehow going up it really saps the willpower because you can see how much further there is to go, and you know you've only got one more gear to go…

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm about 2 miles away, right on the border with Burnham. Avoid Slough whenever possible!!
That's where my parents live and I grew up! I remember crashing my bike (whilst mucking around) on Huntercombe Lane as a child and ending up with a scar. My old bike complete with rod brakes is still at the house but unrideable! (Well not sure how rideable it was in the first place!)

defy-one

Pencil it in folks. Meet up at 8am so we can go for a ride and be back by 10am to do family/home stuff.
Anyone suggest a good meeting point?????

Top Bottom