Hello from West London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hello Mrs. Choo,

If you are 22 and go to the gym, you will have no problem at all with the L2B. Really no problem at all. Maybe a walk up Ditchling, but you do not need to be proud. It is a lot of fun, and that is what matters. I did the ride when I was a couple of years older than you after a very drunken party at Barts medical school that ended at about 3:30 am, on a road bike that somebody lent me. Easy.

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Choo

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply! Thanks for all the advise!

Finally my gloves came through so no more sore hands! Just looking into shorts and a helmet! There is so much choice. I dont want to spend too much money but want a fair good solid bash hat to protect the brain cells!

Quick question : is there a good bike service company that can give my bike the once over???

davidg

I go to Evans in chiswick...mainly because of their later opening times and that i got the bike from them...

Ealing cycles will do what you want though

redjedi

Über Member
:becool: Mrs Choo

Have a look here for Cycle Chat rides which are in and around the London area, sometimes a bit further afield.

There's a ride from Richmond Park to Box Hill in March, which would be excellent training for the L2B. Good distance with a big hill to climb.

Always a very social occasion and you will be warmly greeted, especially if you bring cake :smile:

As for bike shops, I've never used Ealing Cycles but I'm afraid I haven't heard good things about them. Give Wizz Bikes a try in Brentford (yes my lbs), very friendly and helpful and I guarantee you'll get good service.

davidg

slowmotion said:
I use Woolsey of Acton

http://www.woolseyofacton.co.uk/

A real local bike shop.

very true. Have been there and it's old school...

for me it's about hours and being able to get on the tube to town afterwards if I am leaving the bike there...

that said maintenance course that I went on has massively reduced the need for that nonsense!

edit...looking at their opening hours and they are better than I remember...

what are they like price/value-wise

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
davidg said:
very true. Have been there and it's old school...

what are they like price/value-wise

I can't really comment on the price of bits and pieces, but the Dawes 501 (2008) that I bought there last June was £450. The one I bought via an internet supplier ( and returned because it was damaged) cost £420. Woolseys tuned up the bike, and gave me a free first service. That's got to be worth £30 extra.

BTW, where did you do the maintenance course?

davidg

http://www.cycletraining.co.uk/training/individual_training.php#maintenance

I did it via ealing council. had to do a ride with a safety instructor first which cost £5 and then I did the basic course for free...(the course was superb...learnt a lot and it was hand on)

the ride was okay and he said that I was fine (could be an instructor if I wanted!) which was nice to know but I thought the instructor was far too pro bike in some of his suggestions...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Many thanks for that. I must get to grips with the mechanicals.

Natalie-Kate

RecordAceFromNew said:
Hi welcome!

I happen to live in Ealing too. There is an active and friendly group of lady and gentleman cyclists of all ages in Ealing who meet and organise rides like what you appear to be looking for every month (first Sundays). The next one is:

Sunday 7th February 2010
West London Garden Suburbs
A delightful tour around the garden suburbs of West London

Leader: Elly

Time: 10.00am prompt

Place: Ealing Town Hall Steps, New Broadway W5

I think it is highly likely that the group will organise something for the London to Brighton ride if you prefer to do it in a group. The ride to and from the London Skyride in the summer was superbly led and organised.

Hi,

I'm Natalie, Mrs Choos friend, I am taking part in the L2B with her.

I am pretty much in the same situation as she is, I used to cycle a lot but in the past 12-18 months I really havent been out on my bike much at all.

How many miles roughly are these rides and will we be able to keep up as I class myself as a beginner hehe

Thanks, Natalie

davidg

Natalie-Kate said:
Hi,

I'm Natalie, Mrs Choos friend, I am taking part in the L2B with her.

I am pretty much in the same situation as she is, I used to cycle a lot but in the past 12-18 months I really havent been out on my bike much at all.

How many miles roughly are these rides and will we be able to keep up as I class myself as a beginner hehe

Thanks, Natalie
the rides are really easy. you may ache a bit if you havent cycled for a while but the Ealing CC is a family ride....

the rides vary a bit I think...
but are 30-40 miles over a long time with a couple of breaks

they dont stick to roads either...will be some tow path action

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Top Bottom