Helmet cam advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,
Had an incident today whereby a HGV driver made little effort to stop at a roundabout and was edging forward cutting down my access to the lane I was trying to enter. I shouted at him and he pulled along side and the got out. The younger, rugby playing me, would have hung around to see what happened next but anyway.
After this incident and not being able to take a photo, I was wondering about helmet cams and other recommendations. I would have presented this to the police.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
https://bristolcycling.org.uk/cycling-with-video-cameras-a-cyclists-perspective-part-3-kit/

I wrote this for Bristol Cycling Campaign - I've done a few posts about kit choices if you search for Arjimlad and Drift they'll come up. It's a shame we have these encounters but in my area they can be reported pretty easily and have consequences for the few dangerous drivers.

tripletail52

My neighbour got fined £100 for a close pass. Apparently the cyclist had two cameras, one on their helmet and another on the bike. I was pretty sceptical about whether the police take close pass videos seriously but clearly some in the police do. This is in Cardiff.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My neighbour got fined £100 for a close pass. Apparently the cyclist had two cameras, one on their helmet and another on the bike. I was pretty sceptical about whether the police take close pass videos seriously but clearly some in the police do. This is in Cardiff.

Northumbria Police appear to take such (video) reports seriously. Cannot speak for any other area.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
I’ve fitted one now to my car as it was written off through similar by a HGV. I’m off the local police station tomorrow to report it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I’ve fitted one now to my car as it was written off through similar by a HGV. I’m off the local police station tomorrow to report it.

I got the bike camera long before getting one in the car. Kicked myself when our car was smashed up on a country lane by someone driving too fast/without insurance. It ended up alright, but it would have been knock-for-knock if he had been insured. Now both our cars have them.

T4tomo

Guru
If you wear a helmet for it protective properties, as opposed to fashion, sticking a camera on it will seriously undermine protective aspect.

Its not something I've looked into as no longer commuting by bike, but I'd defo look at the "fix to bike options" there are few brands who do them integrated into a light set / unit.

Alex321

Veteran
I normally have a GoPro on the handlebars, provided I remember to clear the memory card and recharge it after each trip.

I do have a spare helmet mount for it, and when skiing I will have it mounted on my ski helmet, but I've never wanted to put it on my nike helmet for some reason. And I only have one GoPro (which is the most basic model).

T4tomo

Guru
I normally have a GoPro on the handlebars, provided I remember to clear the memory card and recharge it after each trip.

I do have a spare helmet mount for it, and when skiing I will have it mounted on my ski helmet, but I've never wanted to put it on my nike helmet for some reason. And I only have one GoPro (which is the most basic model).
They compromise ski helmets just a much, potentially more, given the greater chances of an off at speed whilst skiing. I shudder when I see people skiing with hard mount attached to a helmet.

Alex321

Veteran
They compromise ski helmets just a much, potentially more, given the greater chances of an off at speed whilst skiing. I shudder when I see people skiing with hard mount attached to a helmet.
I do worry about that sometimes, but I think the type of impact where it would matter is the type where the helmet will be unlikely to prevent much anyhow.

Most impacts when skiing are to the side or front of the head, rather than the top. You usually only hit the top of your head when you ski into a tree or pylon or similar, and the helmet won't do much to help in that type of impact.

TBH, it is pretty similar with cycling - the main reason I haven't attached it to my helmet for cycling is just that it is easier and more secure to attach it to the handlebars.

T4tomo

Guru
Schumacher.

there is the risk that something sticking out of your helmet can either
  • catch and cause a twisting injury to your head / neck
  • impale through the helmet and stick into your skull.
ymmv

Alex321

Veteran
Schumacher.

there is the risk that something sticking out of your helmet can either
  • catch and cause a twisting injury to your head / neck
  • impale through the helmet and stick into your skull.
ymmv
I don't think the former is an issue, because I'm pretty sure the adhesive would give way first.

The second is the one I was talking about with top of the head impacts. Hit something hard enough to do that, you are probably dead regardless of helmet.

I'm not aware of any evidence that Schumacher's injury was caused by something attached to his helmet though. All I have heard is that he hit his head directly on an exposed rock, which shattered his helmet.

Top Bottom