Helmet cam nails its first baddie!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
som3blok3

som3blok3

[QUOTE 1321854"]
I'd be more concerned about the OP stopping a red light in a piss poor position - you never split a lane at a red light, ever.
[/quote]

I've been driving that bit of road for 17 years, in an Austin Mini, a Merc C-Class sport, an Iveco 7.5T lorry and my pushbike. It goes from 2 lanes to 4 lanes going 3 directions. I know excactly how it works and where to be, if I don't hold my lane at the first lights I'll never be in the right place at the end lights. Simple.

The point of this was meant to be 'my helmet cam works', nothing else. Sorry if my knowledge of my local roads has upset you....

PK99

Legendary Member
i dont think he did a great deal wrong. He used his own judgement to make safe progress id say. I feel a prompt start from the lights is far safer than waiting to be swallowed up by a wave of cars who'll pass too close then cut you up. Just my opinion mind
rolleyes.gif

Would you apply the same reasoning to a car driver choosing when to obey a red light?

Hello and welcome! Always good to have someone divert some of the slack. Just look at my signature, it is worth remembering when people complain about your cycling......:hello:

deggers

Would you apply the same reasoning to a car driver choosing when to obey a red light?

not at all, cars accelerate much faster,are many times heavier and are three times wider than a bike-far more deadly see, wouldnt be practical. the odd cyclist sneaking through when its clear to proceed does little or no harm.

deggers

Great message to send out. I'd really like my kids to pick up on that one.

i'd encourage mine to try to be ultra aware of their own surroundings at all times, trust their own judgement and not blindly trust their lives to a flashing green,amber and red box.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Each to their own Deggers but my boys will proceed with caution on the green light. Rather that than proceed with caution whilst dodging the impatient car drivers coming from another direction.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
not at all, cars accelerate much faster,are many times heavier and are three times wider than a bike-far more deadly see, wouldnt be practical. the odd cyclist sneaking through when its clear to proceed does little or no harm.

I must have missed that bit on the HC. What page / paragraph is "sneaking" on ?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
i dont think he did a great deal wrong. He used his own judgement to make safe progress id say. I feel a prompt start from the lights is far safer than waiting to be swallowed up by a wave of cars who'll pass too close then cut you up. Just my opinion mind
rolleyes.gif

It wasn't really a prompt start from the lights - where you know yours is about to go green and set off sharpish to beat the cars. He set off while it was still green from the left, as you can see cars coming from that direction after he has gone.

I agree with Lee on this one

I was wondering as I watched the clip. No-one is saying not to take the lane. On the contrary in fact - taking the lane rather than making an extra middle lane should the 2 lead cars be impatient tyre-squealers - is more condusive to self-preservation. Even if this means (awaits to get shot down in flames) having got into that situation, creeping over the stop line to take a stronger position within your chosen lane - of course avoiding that position is better altogether, though I can see why you get in the position that you do, needing the outside lane, if this is typical traffic for that road.

Helmet cams can serve two purposes - one of which is to illustrate others' poor roadcraft and gather evidence should you be involved in an incident, the second of which is to give an opportunity to evaluate your own - there is NO-ONE who cannot improve their roadcraft.

You may end up disagreeing, but instead of digging in your heels and refusing to be questioned, perhaps consider what's been said - if then you decide that the best and safest course of action is the same, then you have considered and made that decision.

Top Bottom