Helmet Camera Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Indeed. That's why after some investigation I went for a lower resolution camera with a higher bit rate and better low light capabilities. I had a feeling at the time that some folk on here questioned my choice to go for a more expensive camera with lower resolution. :smile:

Of course, one of the cables is broken and I need to get around to getting that sorted!

True, although some of the example videos shown, the HD cameras running in SD mode look WAY WAY better than SD cameras.

Would say a countour HD running in, say 576 (assuming it can) get better low-light response than it running in HD?

True, although some of the example videos shown, the HD cameras running in SD mode look WAY WAY better than SD cameras.

Would say a countour HD running in, say 576 (assuming it can) get better low-light response than it running in HD?

The 1080 and 720 can run in 848x480. They can also run at 60fps in this mode, but this negates the "light response".

BSRU

A Human Being
I might try an experiment with my 1080p at lower res and 30fps to see how it looks at night under normal street light conditions, remembering to take of my filter.

Maybe a stupid question but does a telephoto lens help light gathering, as the lens has a large aperture than the camera?

Well putting an extra lens on the front has a slight affect on light as any glass reduces the amount of light.

Also you have the sability issue and you need a faster shutter speed to reduce blur.

BSRU

A Human Being
I suppose a faster shutter speed is not a great idea for night rides, just have to use bare camera and hope some halogen lights provide enough light for it.

I have not personally played with these units, and am still unsure if the FPS (and shutter) is fixed, or if it is dynamic.

If so, the fps should drop when there isn't enough light - ie. at night. But, too low will just blur.

Then, you need to up the ISO, sensor sensitivity which generates noise - and noise handling is what these cheap cameras/sensors (yes, countourhd 1080p is a cheap camera) cannot handle.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got a ContourHD 1080P which I really like. They're not cheap though.

I use it set to 720 rather than 1080 though, as it means it's at 60fps instead of 30fps.
I haven't tested it at night time though.

I've got a ContourHD 1080P which I really like. They're not cheap though.

I use it set to 720 rather than 1080 though, as it means it's at 60fps instead of 30fps.
I haven't tested it at night time though.

£300 odd quid for a HD camera is still cheap really. It's like comparing a point-and-shoot to a DSLR ;)

BSRU

A Human Being
The Contour is a cheap camera and you get what you pay for, I looked at high quality systems and they are much dearer but obviously much better. The Contour is at a price which makes it relatively painless to replace it if stolen or damaged in a crash and it has sufficient quality for my requirements.

Jezston

Über Member
Just out of curiosity, what are the ultimate, money no object, professional level helmet cameras out there?

Because of them small nature, you won't really get "professional" HD cameras in such a small package.

The multi camera systems used in cars would be best, if you are up for carrying it, they aren't THAT big, but the units are definitely bigger than a POV1.5 etc

Though on cars they use pretty much "full sized" cameras clamped on.

The most important part is the sensor, hence they camera... the recording unit isn't that important so long as its compatible with your camera and can record at a high enough bitrate (which isn't hard).

BSRU

A Human Being
I recently tried my Contour HD 1080p in pitch black with a 15w halogen spot and it looked very good, I didn't even change any light settings, just used the same as I normally use in the daytime minus filter.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I recently tried my Contour HD 1080p in pitch black with a 15w halogen spot and it looked very good, I didn't even change any light settings, just used the same as I normally use in the daytime minus filter.

What light did you use? is it cycling specific?

Top Bottom