Helmet Camera Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recall if you get them to mark it as a gift, that doesn't happen.

That doesn't work.

Neither does undervaluing the product.

If you buy X item that is non branded, and incoming service opens it up, they will take whatever value they deem it is worth, which could just possibly be a named branded version of your item.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I recall if you get them to mark it as a gift, that doesn't happen.
Tax fraud is really not recommended. On the list of people you don't want to mess with, HMRC is slightly higher than Legbreaker Dave.

It worked for me when i was ordering hundreds of shuttle cocks from china.

Maybe i was just lucky.

China is different.

And everything from there is marked as Gift half the time anyway so they don't really take notice.

How much were the values? £18 is the line. Although you can get away with more if the box is small/light - the amount that comes through they would only really bother with anything that they look/feel is suspect. I assume they were mostly through Royal Mail rather than a courier service?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
China is different.

And everything from there is marked as Gift half the time anyway so they don't really take notice.

How much were the values? £18 is the line. Although you can get away with more if the box is small/light - the amount that comes through they would only really bother with anything that they look/feel is suspect. I assume they were mostly through Royal Mail rather than a courier service?

About 50 tubes at about £6 each.. quite a bit

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
China and the far east NEVER get hit for tax, there isnt any Cameras on ebay from there tho :sad:

I have had some amazing stuff from China in the past, well worth the wait.

You assume the only place is ebay.

When we have sites like dealextreme and the other one that split from them (of course - many others).

And I wouldn't say never - I've paid import taxes on £500+ lenses before :tongue: its generally when you use "EMS" (courier) that you get hit (if the value is high enough of course).

Jezston

Über Member
I'd like to jump in on this thread if I may.

I was up for getting myself a Contour HD 720 as from all the videos I've seen posted here the footage from them looked way better - although comments here suggest they aren't good at night? Anyone got any example footage I could see?

Never understood the popularity of the Muvi - I guess they are cheap I suppose, but that vertical tearing that seems to constantly accompany videos shot on them looking like jelly has put me off a fair bit!

BSRU

A Human Being

I was up for getting myself a Contour HD 720 as from all the videos I've seen posted here the footage from them looked way better - although comments here suggest they aren't good at night? Anyone got any example footage I could see?

Never understood the popularity of the Muvi - I guess they are cheap I suppose, but that vertical tearing that seems to constantly accompany videos shot on them looking like jelly has put me off a fair bit!

From my quick look on the interweb I have found the Contour HD does not like the blue/white light from LED lights, it prefers the light from xenon or halogen lights.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It doesn't pick up led light so well. And that's a problem at night. Look at some of my earlier videos for examples of night time use

I have no tearing at all - and know many others without cmos wobble too. Of course you might be refering to the £10 special.

It doesn't work so well eith dim lighting as the HD sensor needs more light to function well.

This is why the 1080@30fps has to run at 720 for 60fps.

Higher resolution doesn't always mean better quality.

Higher resolution doesn't always mean better quality.

Indeed. That's why after some investigation I went for a lower resolution camera with a higher bit rate and better low light capabilities. I had a feeling at the time that some folk on here questioned my choice to go for a more expensive camera with lower resolution. :smile:

Of course, one of the cables is broken and I need to get around to getting that sorted!

Top Bottom