Helmet Camera Photos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
We have all seen helmet camera videos, how about some photos of how your camera is mounted on your helmet.

Attachments

• DSCN2391.JPG
    DSCN2391.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 55

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Mine is on my handlebars. The white stuff around it is selotape because it snapped when out.
000_0014.jpg

000_0015.jpg

simon.r

Person
I can't join in, because I don't have one...but I keep thinking about it. What would be very useful for me would be if those who do post can say what make / model their camera is and to link to a sample video.

I hesistate to ask "What camera should I buy?" as I suspect the subject has been done to death in the past:rolleyes:, but if this thread grows it would be useful to have lots of links in one post. Thanks in advance.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
ContourROAM and Exposure Joystick

I have been having a look at Contour cameras and been comparing them with GoPro's. I believe contour is a bit cheaper if you look around a bit but what are the differences in use? Which is it easier to edit? (I will post a new thread in the Bike Accessories forum)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have been having a look at Contour cameras and been comparing them with GoPro's. I believe contour is a bit cheaper if you look around a bit but what are the differences in use? Which is it easier to edit? (I will post a new thread in the Bike Accessories forum)
easier to edit? Well they are probably very similar to edit as they both put out a similar file format...

Which camera is better?
Contour's have always performed better in low light and the form of it is much nicer if you are putting it on a helmet.
The Hero2 seems to be a lot better than the Hero and its low light performance is much better.
Which one you want to get is up to you, they are pretty similar with similar features and mounting options.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I can't join in, because I don't have one...but I keep thinking about it. What would be very useful for me would be if those who do post can say what make / model their camera is and to link to a sample video.

I hesistate to ask "What camera should I buy?" as I suspect the subject has been done to death in the past:rolleyes:, but if this thread grows it would be useful to have lots of links in one post. Thanks in advance.

Which camera is that for ?

Motrax Kwikcam clone (AT21) from Ebay (though the original is about the same quality).

From 3:45 (daylight) to 4:15 (just after sunset)

Needs 3x AAA batteries (user-replaceable)

I'll be looking at getting the Contour HD when funds permit it, as the sensor is a lot better at night

mumbo jumbo

Just got myself a ContourRoam. Just 3 trips recorded so far. The first one I managed to record upside down (doh!). The second one I forgot to take the lens cap off (double doh!). The third one got some night time footage of someone texting whilst pulling away from the lights: http://contour.com/stories/texting-whilst-driving . I used the Contour Storyteller thing to make the vid. Much better quality than my previous Dogcam Bullet HD.

BSRU

A Human Being
The low light thing is a problem. Mine performs terribly in low light and cannot even pick up my cateye on a pitch black river path. Link to new thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/advice-on-a-decent-helmet-camera.92266/

I think I could get the contour for a bit less than a gopro as well.
The GoPro HD2 is far better than a Contour+ in very low light conditions but on a well lit street the Contour+ is better.
I use a GoPro HD2 for riding at night and 120fps WVGA slow motion and the Contour+ for everything else.

For a night comparison check out a test video of mine,

The Contour+ is fine when I arrive at the well lit roundabout but everywhere else is not too good.
See if you can spot the ninja cyclist at the start of the video, very easy to see with the GoPro.
At the moment I have both cameras on my helmet as I cannot choose which one to use, although when the night commutes end it will be the Contour+.

Ethan

Motrax Kwikcam clone (AT21) from Ebay (though the original is about the same quality).

Daytime (1pm-ish)

Evening (around 4pm, just after sunset)

Needs 3x AAA batteries (user-replaceable)

I'll be looking at getting the Contour HD when funds permit it, as the sensor is a lot better at night

First post here, hello all!

Bigsharn, what sort of battery time and what is the maximum record time from that thing?
Im after a helmet cam but being a student, I can barley afford the price of my beer, never mind one of them big boy cameras!
The quality seems decent enough for what Im after anyway!