Helmet Cameras. Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have just bought a Garmin Virb for a nice cheap price (similar price to the link mentioned) I then purchased a memory card for about 18 squids, and now am looking for a handlebar mount.. Cheapest price so far is about £17.
The cost is rises.

andyfraser

Über Member
I've been looking at handle bar mounts but I also want an extra cradle so I can just swap the camera over. More expense. :smile:

I have a 64GB card which gives me 6 - 7 hours at 1080p. Plenty for my commutes for a week.

I really like the VIRB.

D

Deleted member 23692

What is the VIRBs "Adapter to popular industry mounts" like - if it fits it to go pro mounts there are a number of simple handlebar clamps on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2054897.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XBike+Aluminum+Handlebar+Bar+Standard+30-31.8mm+Mount+For+GoPro+Hero+1+2+3+3++4+.TRS0&_nkw=Bike+Aluminum+Handlebar+Bar+Standard+30-
31.8mm+Mount+For+GoPro+Hero+1+2+3+3%2B+4+&_sacat=0

Pretty miffed I missed this thread as I bought a Go Pro last night!
Yup it's a GoPro mount adaptor, so it opens up a whole new world of cheap Chinese wobbly self-disintegrating options.

I made my own from a K-edge bracket. They're not cheap, but they do the job perfectly ;)

2_zpsbl6wzy1x.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

Nope its just the usual Garmin quality plastic, with brass threaded inserts. It's more than up to the job

398051.jpg

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Having googled it there seem to be a number of users of the SJ4000 who have reliability/build issues after a number of months. Equally Google dug up the Garmin even cheaper
http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/spor...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIjK2P2s_McCFQGI2wodq4cAIw

It seems like the SJ4000 is good, but ironically there are many copies around (copies of a copy). On Amazon I was worried by feedback even on Prime sellers which seemed to imply that their products were inferior copies. Owners of the proper SJ4000, seem to rate them highly even those who also own a Gopro. So I took the plunge, and bought a wifi version of the SJ4000. In order to avoid the potential problems associated with the copies, I purchased directly from the company/ importer, at http://www.sjcam.com/3-cameras. Ironically this will probably give me less consumer support, and it was also more expensive than buying from Amazon. However I guess I'll have more peace of mind purchasing directly from the manufacturer.

RCITGuy

Define really cheap....
IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the £94 GoPro. 3hrs recording at 1080p HD, loads of mounts available. Job's a goodun.
Since when has any GoPro ever been able to record for 3hrs on its own?

I've tried the GoPro (All of them) and they all suck for battery life, and even when you then spend more and add the extended battery, you get 90 minutes out of it..
Not aerodynamic, they brick/lockup/freeze too easily and get extremely hot inside their waterproof cases.

The Garmin Virb HD and the Elite both seem to run for around 2hrs 20m on their own internal battery, even with all that GPS and other sensory nonsense going on, so those are pretty good, have a far better shape for the bike, but are the heaviest as far as I know.. I currently have the Elite on my handlebars and I love it, especially all the data it captures and its mega wide field of view and long battery life.

The BEST all-round helmet camera I have ever seen for cycling so far is the DogCam-R Bullet HD.

Definitely the best shape and weight for helmet mounting and goes for 90 minutes on its own or 4hrs with its waterproof external usb battery, or plug any USB battery into it and go as long as your memory card can handle.

Instead of trying to find a cheap brand new rubbish camera, why not get a second hand awesome camera thats 1 model behind?
Plenty of "latest craze" fanatics selling slightly used kit on ebay just because the latest model has super super HD+++.

If you want an ass-cam to watch your back, I highly recommend the Cycliq camera/rear light...
Weighs next to nothing, built in super bright ON+strobe red light and the video quality is really good for less than £90

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
It seems like the SJ4000 is good, but ironically there are many copies around (copies of a copy). On Amazon I was worried by feedback even on Prime sellers which seemed to imply that their products were inferior copies. Owners of the proper SJ4000, seem to rate them highly even those who also own a Gopro. So I took the plunge, and bought a wifi version of the SJ4000. In order to avoid the potential problems associated with the copies, I purchased directly from the company/ importer, at http://www.sjcam.com/3-cameras. Ironically this will probably give me less consumer support, and it was also more expensive than buying from Amazon. However I guess I'll have more peace of mind purchasing directly from the manufacturer.

I bought the SJCam, and have so far been extremely disappointed in it. The app doesn't work for the wifi connection, and the support from the company sucks. Trying to get a refund now. The camera itself seems good, but if buying don't ge the wifi version, and expect zero support.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Since when has any GoPro ever been able to record for 3hrs on its own?
Mine does.

I have the Mk1 HD Hero, so nearly 4 years old now. Set on 720p 30fps, it will run continuously for 3hrs and a little bit. On 1080p 30fps, it runs about 2.5hrs.

The new ones should run for 3 hours at 1080p. Make sure that wifi/bluetooth/screen are all switched OFF to achieve that though. Leaving those on will chop your battery life in half. Recording in 4k will also mean shorter run times, as will recording in higher fps rates.

Tin Pot

Guru
Do any of them have the option to wrap around recording? Such that it never runs out of space, it simply overwrites the older clip?

Top Bottom